Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android's ION Proposed For Mainline Linux

Phoronix: Android's ION Proposed For Mainline Linux

Android's ION memory allocator has been proposed for mainlining into the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Which is the state of Android mainlining?

Comment

I don't understand why the kernel hackers post hundreds of patches to the mailing list instead of, say, put it on some public git repo. If they want per-patch comments they can use gerrit or some equivalent.

The Linux kernel is hosted on git anyway (git was created for that exact purpose, after all). Why keep doing things the old way?

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        I don't understand why the kernel hackers post hundreds of patches to the mailing list instead of, say, put it on some public git repo. If they want per-patch comments they can use gerrit or some equivalent.

The Linux kernel is hosted on git anyway (git was created for that exact purpose, after all). Why keep doing things the old way?
        You must be young.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          You must be young.
          How about trying to answer his question instead of trying to guess his age?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            How about trying to answer his question instead of trying to guess his age?
            Because 'you must be young' is the answer

What he means is that open source developers are people; they develop patterns of doing things and feel that the way they've always done things are best.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post

mailing list (supported by patchwork) is the equivalent to gerrit that we use ;-)

Fits with most kernel developers' workflow much better than gerrit. I imagine that when/if it is merged it would be via git pull, but patches on mailing list are the most convenient form to review. (Although when I send large patchsets I usually include a reference to a git branch where the same can be found for people who prefer that.)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                mailing list (supported by patchwork) is the equivalent to gerrit that we use ;-)

Fits with most kernel developers' workflow much better than gerrit. I imagine that when/if it is merged it would be via git pull, but patches on mailing list are the most convenient form to review. (Although when I send large patchsets I usually include a reference to a git branch where the same can be found for people who prefer that.)
                Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post
                  Because 'you must be young' is the answer

What he means is that open source developers are people; they develop patterns of doing things and feel that the way they've always done things are best.
                  You must be old =D
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by duhhuh
                    but not all kernel developers are happy with the interface.
                    I just read through the mailing list, and I don't see anything that even REMOTELY supports this statement. In fact quite the opposite, it is being very well received.

Comment

Working...
                    X