Former NVIDIA, Microsoft Developers Doing Lots Of The SteamOS Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    I managed to install it in virtualbox (although not completely.. not yet, some repos from valve are throwing a "Forbidden" error) from scratch (by using the debootstrap method: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apds03.html ), and it seems that the UEFI problem happens only because valve doesn't this packages in their repos: grub-pc-bin grub-pc. I'm still wondering why they didn't install those too...
    Hey asfblah,

Could you do me a favor and upload the patched linux sources??? I only ask because i am not a non-debian system and Valve source package for the kernel is fialing to unpack data.tar.gz (which contains the sources) - due to not downloading correctly - it's supposed to be 72.5mb but only 39.5mb ever downloads (and says complete).... But if you have built the sources then you have them unpacked already, so uploading a non-corrupted source package would be of great help! <you could just post a link to it, if you are game>...

I'd like to do a proper diff, so that i can get a different angle/viewpoint on their linux changes...

anyway, it would be greatly appreciated, if you have a minute or two to upload them.

PS: thanks for the other links / info... (that i didn't quote).

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      stupid 5 min edit limit?

Note that I haven?t tried Debian 7?s installer, just Debian 6.

Debian 7 has a friendly gui installer that is no worse than windows 8, and still a huge step above XP; It's easier than anaconda, about the same as ubuntu. the only really hard part is choice the software groups you want to install (although the default setup is pretty good).

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
        Hey asfblah,

Could you do me a favor and upload the patched linux sources??? I only ask because i am not a non-debian system and Valve source package for the kernel is fialing to unpack data.tar.gz (which contains the sources) - due to not downloading correctly - it's supposed to be 72.5mb but only 39.5mb ever downloads (and says complete).... But if you have built the sources then you have them unpacked already, so uploading a non-corrupted source package would be of great help! <you could just post a link to it, if you are game>...

I'd like to do a proper diff, so that i can get a different angle/viewpoint on their linux changes...

anyway, it would be greatly appreciated, if you have a minute or two to upload them.

PS: thanks for the other links / info... (that i didn't quote).
        I cannot upload it because of my slow connection, but did you try using a download "accelerator" like aria2c or axel? it should "just work"..

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
          I cannot upload it because of my slow connection, but did you try using a download "accelerator" like aria2c or axel? it should "just work"..
          No worries, It seems to be working fine for me now (but wouldn't last night or this morning...odd).

Comment

Originally posted by zeroepoch View Post
            Is it possible that the Steam Controller is a USB HID device so it wouldn't require any special support from the kernel?
            Yes, this is currently the case. There isn't a kernel driver specific to the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
              Yes, this is currently the case. There isn't a kernel driver specific to the controller.
              Hey Plagman, is there any plans to make your installer Non-eUFI friendly? It would allow SteamOS to be installed on a lot more hardware that either lack eUFI or have broken eUFI support (I'm looking at you intel 7 series boards).

Comment

Just stating this in advance... please let the troll starve.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                  because ubuntu is still recommended platform for Steam on Linux?
                  Except SteamOS and Ubuntu with Steam are aiming at different devices (the former for dedicated console-like devices, the latter for desktops). If one or the other proves to be faster, you're not supposed to change anything anyway ? you don't install SteamOS on desktops and you don't install Ubuntu with Steam on dedicated devices. Meanwhile benchmarking vanilla Debian vs SteamOS makes sense, because it shows exactly how Valve's changes affect the performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X