Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS Compositor Details, Kernel Patches, Screenshots

Phoronix: SteamOS Compositor Details, Kernel Patches, Screenshots

Here are more details on the innards of SteamOS along with some screenshots of the GNOME-based desktop environment outside of the Steam Big Picture Mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    X.Org Server 1.12.4
    So much for using it on a laptop with switchable graphics

Of course of course, I know, not meant for that kind of device, but still.

Comment

Hm I wonder why they didn't use compton as a starting point instead of xcompmgr... Compton is much improved with tons of bugs fixed.

Comment

Did anybody tried to install these kernel on ubuntu?

Comment

I'm happy to see that it's a very conservative distro pretty much based on Debian. That means games designed for SteamOS will most likely work with almost any distro out there. I was afraid it'd be too much like Ubuntu. With the direction Ubuntu is going I mean...

Comment

>>>

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
            Did anybody tried to install these kernel on ubuntu?
            anybody using a PREEMPT_RT_FULL kernel in Ubuntu is using something similar <minus, not having Aufs support, although, as SteamOS' kernel patches show, it works fine with RT, although i thought i spotted some fix for preempt_rt for aufs specifically....>.

@Michael: to clarify, since you are quoting me in this article. On closer inspection the 282 ../rt/all (sub-folder) patches, are largely (but not all, afaict) in linux-rt patchset - I haven't run a diff, just from browsing. (and no point in making a diff, since i would still need to recognize functions, etc - that would be spread out between patches i am not necessarily familiar with.. although, i am curious about a few bits that might make nvidia more rt friendly.)

Comment

I still don't see the newsworthiness of SteamOS.

So it's a Linux distribution that is utilizes a Debian Wheezy base with extensive modifications. That's no different with Microsoft using a modified Windows for the Xbox. Or Sony using modified FreeBSDs for the PlayStations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                I still don't see the newsworthiness of SteamOS.

So it's a Linux distribution that is utilizes a Debian Wheezy base with extensive modifications. That's no different with Microsoft using a modified Windows for the Xbox. Or Sony using modified FreeBSDs for the PlayStations.
                It's different for several reasons. The most basic one, their modifications are open source. Then, the most important one for non-SteamOS users, their changes doesn't break compatibility.

Comment

Rt? This is realtime kernel right? Why did they use an realtime kernel for a game console system?

Comment

Coreboot?

I know it's not actually SteamOS related but does anybody have a hint if these Steam-Boxes (though it is more a design principle that can be used by many builders) are going to support / make use of coreboot? (And thus avoid UEFI crap)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X