SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    The big question is, is it a media player too, so that people can replace their XBMC or Media PC's that are stationed at their TV's. If not Value/SteamOS has made a big mistake.
    It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.

Comment

This required UEFI support... what does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        This required UEFI support... what does that mean?
        UEFI=Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

Means that the motherboard needs to support a BIOS wrapper to upstage older PC compatibility and deliver new BIOS era.

Comment

SteamOS appears to be using linux 3.10 - PREEMPT_RT_FULL (unsurprisingly) with a heavy amount of patching (282 patches for -rt in the 'all' architectures/folder, alone). The kernel is also using aufs and they seem to be sitting on some bug fixes for upstream on top of that.

Some of the -rt related hacks they are using i have seen (in one case, i am using the same patch for ntrig)... It looks like they have gone to a lot of effort getting the kernel just right for their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.
            Note sure if I agree. It maybe as simple as installing libav/ffmpeg and having the controls in the interface to link to the files.
            Last edited by e8hffff; 13 December 2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              So it's basically a modified xcompmgr. Nothing fancy.
              Who cares if it's fancy if it's fast, functional, and reasonably secure?

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                SteamOS appears to be using linux 3.10 - PREEMPT_RT_FULL (unsurprisingly) with a heavy amount of patching (282 patches for -rt in the 'all' architectures/folder, alone). The kernel is also using aufs and they seem to be sitting on some bug fixes for upstream on top of that.

Some of the -rt related hacks they are using i have seen (in one case, i am using the same patch for ntrig)... It looks like they have gone to a lot of effort getting the kernel just right for their needs.
                I haven't yet got into Linux Kernel hacking, but why would Value use an older kernel when the latest versions have had so much adage. It's not as if they are running a critical infrastructure outfit.
                Last edited by e8hffff; 13 December 2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I haven't yet got into Linux Kernel hacking, but why would Value use an older kernel when the latest versions have had so much adage. It's not as if they are running a critical infrastructure outfit.
                  Because they need stability, so they are using a LTS kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                    Because they need stability, so they are using a LTS kernel.
                    I think it would have been easier to use say 3.12 Kernel and then if they find a bug then fix it for the whole community, rather than spend countless months backtracking/porting fixes for old code.

Comment

I think it would have been easier to use say 3.12 Kernel and then if they find a bug then fix it for the whole community, rather than spend countless months backtracking/porting fixes for old code.
                      Well, you may think that, but that is very uninformed... 3.12 has some weird issues with pstates (on PREEMPT_RT_FULL anyway), nohz is a bit flacky (again on -rt) and aside from that, as someone else pointed out to you - 3.10 is an LTS release... Lastly, as far as using the 'newest kernel' - 3.10 is still fairly new and linux-rt only tracks every 'even' number release; 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, etc - So i think Valve has made the right selection, in this case...

and it doesn't appear that they have done a whole bunch of backporting from newer kernels, but it does look like they are sitting on some fixes though - while other patches are listed as being submitted to XYZ mailing list for review...

Comment

Working...
                      X