SteamOS 1.0 Is Based Upon Debian Wheezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Because some newbies have the idea torrent == virus, is my guess.
    Also, some total suckers might fall for a fake.
    People who are that green behind the ears shouldn't attempt to install an OS in the first place though...

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
      Does anyone else think Canonical might have asked for Valve to pay licensing fees in order to base SteamOS off Ubuntu, and that this is what led Valve to basing SteamOS off Debian? (look up the recent Linux Mint controversy for reference)
      Nah, probably they weren't going to use Ubuntu in the first place. If you need milk, go straight to the cow... or something.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Nah, probably they weren't going to use Ubuntu in the first place. If you need milk, go straight to the cow... or something.
        nah, it's more like go straight to the producer instead of the store so that you circumvent the store tax. Going to the cow is pretty much the NIH thing

Comment

I don't get why they recomend 500GB HDD on one hand and in another they demand 1TB to install SteamOS.

Is it related to "mirroring" option that let us recover everything is something goes wrong with instalation ?

In that case , i assume that if you try to install SteamOS is a 500GB HDD, it will be "split" in two of 250GB with 2nd 250GB used to mirror and recover the 1st 250GB ?

TIA,
          AJSB

Comment

well

its a normal linux distro what the point? none

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              its a normal linux distro what the point? none
              Translation: I'm so butthurt they didn't use Ubuntu!

Comment

the stupid dee come back

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Translation: I'm so butthurt they didn't use Ubuntu!

i use arch man, i really don t care what is the core. i espect a OS for TV, not a normal linux distro like this with xorg and gnome, i don t see the point of using this, instant of ubuntu, fedora, mint or arch

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  I don't get why they recomend 500GB HDD on one hand and in another they demand 1TB to install SteamOS.

Is it related to "mirroring" option that let us recover everything is something goes wrong with instalation ?

In that case , i assume that if you try to install SteamOS is a 500GB HDD, it will be "split" in two of 250GB with 2nd 250GB used to mirror and recover the 1st 250GB ?

TIA,
                  AJSB
                  The 1TB is because it is an installation from a system image, basically the system image for hardware in the Steam Machine Prototype, has Clonezilla cannot image a larger disk on a smaller one, at least last time I used it, even if plenty of free room. Has for the 500GB, games are kind of not the smallest software when it come to size, so you recommend a decent enough size to system builder.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Official X.org fanboy
                    Hah, when did that change? Did you ask for it or is Michael just playing you?

Comment

Ars Technica review:

Comment

Working...
                      X