X.Org Server: 1,047 Warnings Reduced To Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Also, fixing warnings usually fixes bugs you don't even know about. The kind of bug your find in some esoteric contexts.
    Exactly...warnings can indicate possible bugs that could be hard to track down due to how the compiler handles code that's not written to standards. Now hopefully some bugs that do creep in can be found and squashed quickly in the cleaned up codebase.

A clean codebase can help with future bugfixing and updating too.

Comment

warnings are just....warnings. They may or may not indicate bugs. 99.999% of them are just the compiler being very picky.

it is probably a good thing to clear them as with 1000+ warnings it is impossible to assess if they are all safe warnings.

My guess is that since Keith do not mention any discovered bugs by the exercise probably means that he has not found any or else he would have been proud to mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
        warnings are just....warnings.
        Exactly. But a warning is in fact code that might be unpredictable. Unpredictable means you can't be sure it does what you intend it to do.

They may or may not indicate bugs. 99.999% of them are just the compiler being very picky.
        Nope. 99.999% of them are the compiler telling you you are ignoring the standard, making assumptions about how the language works that are not set in the standard, etc. This means you don't know what this code does.

it is probably a good thing to clear them as with 1000+ warnings it is impossible to assess if they are all safe warnings.
        Well, the only way to tell is to actually trying to make sense of them. And if you do so, fixing them is in most cases trivial.

My guess is that since Keith do not mention any discovered bugs by the exercise probably means that he has not found any or else he would have been proud to mention it.
        Again, usually warnings are either fixed because a bug related was tracked down to it, or causing problems in very specific contexts (it could be hardware specific, compiler specific, etc). The latter means he can't test by himself if he fixed any real life bug.

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
        why, xorg server has future?
        Yes, it does. Wayland does not intend to replace X.org in all use cases, but rather on desktop and mobile.
        Also, some applications might never get ported, and the X.org server is still needed to support XWayland.

Comment

Yep thanks Keith

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
            warnings are just....warnings. They may or may not indicate bugs. 99.999% of them are just the compiler being very picky.

Old warnings are generally safe, but new ones can indicate problems. The main thing clearing all of them out does is make it obvious when new warnings are being introduced, and make it easy to figure out why when that happens. When there are tons of old ones doing nothing, there can be valid warnings that start happening and no one will notice them mixed in with all the old ones.

Comment

It says a lot about Keith. A ninja must be swift and quiet, no one should see him coming. Just imagine a ninja who gets caught 1047 times and loudly told about it Therefore, I conclude that Keith must be an awesome ninja coder!

Comment

I keep telling you people... X.org is the wave of the future.

I want my member title changed to "Official X.org Fanboy".

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I keep telling you people... X.org is the wave of the future.

I want my member title changed to "Official X.org Fanboy".
                  lol

Something old is becoming new again

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
                    why, xorg server has future?
                    Yes. It's in the thousands of servers worldwide using distro's that use X.Org as part of the graphics. There is no real other open-source solution right now for servers using a display and the same goes with workstations. Wayland is still in development, and while it is starting to ship with some distro's, isn't yet viable enough, from what I gather, for the server distro's which move at a more relaxed pace. For good reason.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      Yes, it does. Wayland does not intend to replace X.org in all use cases, but rather on desktop and mobile.
                      Where do you get that idea from?

Wayland has been written from the ground up to be versatile and support many use cases. It's not limited to just desktop and phones. There's IVI systems, smart tv's, web kiosks, redridgerators and other such embedded use... Wayland will be advantageous in many cases, where there is limited hardware power or memory, because it's a much smaller and leaner codebase than X.

Also, some applications might never get ported, and the X.org server is still needed to support XWayland.
                      This is true though. X.org will live on as a compatibility layer. It's not going away in the near future anyway, and there's no point in stopping development just because it'll eventually be replaced - by that logic, we could just stop development of everything right now...

Comment

Working...
                      X