X.Org Server: 1,047 Warnings Reduced To Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    First: Respect to Keith for pulling through with fixing those warnings!
    Second: That may reduce the memory footprint of the X server but aside from that, at least for the end user, it won't do much.
    Third: May god (if there is one) have mercy on the poor soul that'll commit the first thing that introduces a warning into the new codebase...because Keith won't have any. (at least I wouldn't after fixing over 1000 warnings)
    I think warnings can also indicate potentially unsafe behavior that is not guaranteed to cause a bug but might under some circumstances.

Comment

"Fixing" warnings

by disabling a -W-flag ... I lol'd
      Of the 1047 warnings, 380 of them are generated by this one warning flag. I?ve gone ahead and just disabled it in util/macros for now.

Comment

Lol, some warning flags are quite useless in fact... i.e. stuff like -Weff-c++ ...

Comment

Well, warnings is warnings, it's not errors, it just means, that your code is using some obsolete functions, that still works, but might be removed in later compiler versions, or you are using some unsafe things, that works, but shouldnt be used, and so on. And, in open source world, where everything began many years ago with the first versions of compilers, old part of code is almost never rewritten, and it gets more and more warnings with newer compiler versions - there is like 1 out of 100000 packages in linux, that does not give you any warnings, when you try to compile it. i.e., linux kernel gives hundreds of thousands of warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            I was already aware of this part. I just kind of assume that if someone really needs network transparency, he will avoid this toolkits and use core X11 (or a specialized toolkit, if they exist).
            ViewTouch is such a specialized toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
              Well, warnings is warnings, it's not errors, it just means, that your code is using some obsolete functions, that still works, but might be removed in later compiler versions, or you are using some unsafe things, that works, but shouldnt be used, and so on. And, in open source world, where everything began many years ago with the first versions of compilers, old part of code is almost never rewritten, and it gets more and more warnings with newer compiler versions - there is like 1 out of 100000 packages in linux, that does not give you any warnings, when you try to compile it. i.e., linux kernel gives hundreds of thousands of warnings.
              Depends really. Style warnings, obviously, are a PITA if you prefer a different style. Some are quite valid, like the warnings about "if (x=y)", which IS valid C syntax, even if it isn't what you meant when you wrote the line...[I typically have my warning settings elevate that level of warnings to errors, just to make sure I fix it!]

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
                why, xorg server has future?
                of course it does. it is used by every linux distribution today. and it will be for years to come. sure there is mir and wayland, but those are not yet ready for prime time, and it will be years before they are as stable and mature as x.org is today.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  But if someone really needs that network transparency, they can just use html5 interfaces in their apps in the first place. Why use core x11, when we already have browser engines that do the job much more efficiently.
                  You should get a job as a stand-up comic. That's the funniest thing I've read on the web today.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                    But if someone really needs that network transparency, they can just use html5 interfaces in their apps in the first place. Why use core x11, when we already have browser engines that do the job much more efficiently.
                    browser engines has ridiculous memory usage similar to Java applications

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      browser engines has ridiculous memory usage similar to Java applications
                      as if memory was so expensive these days ...
                      also the worst part about java are bad programmers, not java itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X