Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Ubuntu Benchmarks Of The Haswell Chromebook

Phoronix: More Ubuntu Benchmarks Of The Haswell Chromebook

Yesterday I shared the first Phoronix tests of Ubuntu running on the Acer C720 Chromebook, a ChromeOS-focused device powered by an Intel Celeron "Haswell" processor. The performance was great -- as was the build quality and features -- for being a $199 USD device that can be loaded with other operating systems too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How's the battery life been under ubuntu?

Comment

Is there a better alternative to the c720 for a lightweight laptop to use for programming?
      Is it hard to install a non-chromeos distro on it?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Is there a better alternative to the c720 for a lightweight laptop to use for programming?
        Is it hard to install a non-chromeos distro on it?
        I would look up a project called "Crouton" for having ubuntu along side chromeOS. I read you don't even have to reboot to switch between the two environments.

Comment

Originally posted by orawas View Post
          I would look up a project called "Crouton" for having ubuntu along side chromeOS. I read you don't even have to reboot to switch between the two environments.
          I use crouton on a chromebook (my son's). It is nice great in that way. But ChromeOS uses a really old kernel (3.4), and modern Mesa doesnt work with that. I upgraded to the beta channel, which had a newer 3.8 kernel, only to find a month later that all games stopped working again, because the beta version of chromeOS went back to a 3.4 version. Crazy shite.

I was actually gonna ask Michael what recipe he followed to install Ubuntu ... Chrubuntu perhaps?

Comment

You know what would be interesting to test with the chromebook? Video decoding and playback. I guess I could find out by checking what Intel graphic chipset is in this small buddy but having someone benchmarking it, I think that it would be pertinant to check that aspect more than encoding.

I imagine that video playback while in public transport is possibly one of the main usage of this kind of hatdware. If it have a working libva driver, it is probably in business to offer pretty good performance. I would consider getting one for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
              You know what would be interesting to test with the chromebook? Video decoding and playback. I guess I could find out by checking what Intel graphic chipset is in this small buddy but having someone benchmarking it, I think that it would be pertinant to check that aspect more than encoding.

I imagine that video playback while in public transport is possibly one of the main usage of this kind of hatdware. If it have a working libva driver, it is probably in business to offer pretty good performance. I would consider getting one for myself.
              Tablets will be much more suited for such purposes since they don't have the added heft of the keyboard base (a key factor if you have to stand on the crowded bus or train with one hand preoccupied on the grab pole).

Comment

I have one, but am waiting for the touchpad to work in Linux before I toss Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
                  Where would you store the video? Thing has 16gb of disk space, even if your OS took < 1gb, that's only 21 700mb movies, much less if you use a higher res rip.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Where would you store the video? Thing has 16gb of disk space, even if your OS took < 1gb, that's only 21 700mb movies, much less if you use a higher res rip.
                    that one is easy to answer! from the.....Internet? you know like youtube and sites like these :-)

They also sell 16 Gb USB 3 keys for less than 10 bucks at Best Buy also.

Comment

Working...
                    X