Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Upcoming Linux Hardware Reviews, Articles

Phoronix: Exciting Upcoming Linux Hardware Reviews, Articles

While many people work less over the holidays, this isn't the case at Phoronix and there's many exciting articles coming out daily for the better part of the next month. Here's a look, including our annual year-in-review articles of the Linux graphics drivers, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Impressive.

Comment

A Linux review of the Intel Pentium G3220 "Haswell" processor.
      Impressive i had some wine game reviews and run very good

Machine Specs is

Nvidia Drivers 331.20 (run package) from nvidia homepage)
      Linux Mint 15 KDE Edition 32Bit - Kernel 3.8.0.26 PAE
      CPU: INTEL Pentium G3220 (Nucleo Haswell a 22nm) 3.0Ghz (Dual-Core) Stock Clock
      MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (128 bit dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
      GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz a 64Bit (14.4Gb/s)
      BOARD: MSI H81M E33

Comment

GNOME Shell Wayland benchmarks from Fedora 20.
        Michael: Then you probably noticed that eglSwapInterval(0) support landed this week in Mesa git for Wayland. It'll enable you to have > 60 fps Wayland applications.

Comment

VirtualBox vs. KVM Linux virtualization benchmarks, and bsd comparations against linux, are very interesting, but what I really want to see is SteamOS vs Ubuntu/Manjaro/etc to see how good it is

Comment

Overlooked

Somehow, this has gone overlooked on phoronix:

The real FFmpeg might be finally returning to Debian!

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
              VirtualBox vs. KVM Linux virtualization benchmarks, and bsd comparations against linux, are very interesting, but what I really want to see is SteamOS vs Ubuntu/Manjaro/etc to see how good it is
              Despite being called SteamOS it's not going to be useful as a desktop operating system, and it's not meant to be. It's just all the backend stuff needed to run Steam in big picture mode. As many of the changes are being made to the kernel/drivers, they are going to be shared with every other distro anyway.

Comment

As requested here by me, could you please run CPU governor tests (ondemand, performance) with the 3.12 & 3.13 kernel to confirm that the issues are fixed and there are no more performance differences? This is really important, at least for all the gamers out there. I would like to see some gaming benchmarks with min/avg/max fps included

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  Despite being called SteamOS it's not going to be useful as a desktop operating system, and it's not meant to be. It's just all the backend stuff needed to run Steam in big picture mode. As many of the changes are being made to the kernel/drivers, they are going to be shared with every other distro anyway.
                  Shared with other distros? Yes. But does that mean that they will use optimizations that are good for games, but possibly not so good for general purpose distros? How about an optimized stack in SteamOS?
                  I find this indeed a good benchmark option.

Comment

Slow down and take a day off!

Seriously Michael, this post and another you made has me concerned that you are on the road to burnout. It is actually a good thing to take a holiday and frankly a day off every week or so. You don't want to loose touch with the rest of the world.

I only bring this up out of concern for you and your web site which I frequent on and off regularly. Really it wouldn't hurt me one bit if one day a week nothing was posted or you posted nothing to take a New Years holiday in the Caribbean, Las Vegas or a cabin in the woods. In the end your site will be better because of some time off.

Comment

Working...
                    X