No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.4 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ubuntu specifically, how do I determine what the current"Restricted Driver" I am running actually is?
    To know which driver you are using "fglrxinfo" in command line should do the trick

Result :
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

As for me I am still using 8.37.6 waiting for good dual-desktop support by the new driver base :'(

Comment

Originally posted by MagicTempest View Post
      Has there been anyone who has tried this driver on a AGP (X1950) card yet?

I would like to know whether this driver still crashes my X before I even try.
      Haven't got a x1950 - x1600 but do have AGP problems unless I set the aperture size in bios to 512 - my card has 512 memory.

Comment

It doesn't matter what I set my AGP aperture size to. X always hangs with the new fglrx drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
          Ok here are my feedback for this brand new driver with an HD2600 PRO AGP!!!

Like the last release the driver work partially for the HD2600 Pro AGP.

Compiz OK
          Video OK
          everything 2D OK

There is something in this driver preventing those type of card (HD2XXX AGP) from reaching there full potential.

I hope someone at AMD will take the time to look at this tread.

For now and since I bought this card (In january) it is going back in it's box, until I find someone to buy it or that a GOOD Linux driver come from AMD!!!
          Hmm really ? I have a Sapphire 2600HD AGP and was having a black screen (of the death ? ) when loading X...

I will try this new one when come back to home this week end

Because of you im quite optimistic now I hope for you it'll work because I need to compile ecomorph for e17...

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
            Ok here are my feedback for this brand new driver with an HD2600 PRO AGP!!!

Compiz OK
            There is something in this driver preventing those type of card (HD2XXX AGP) from reaching there full potential.
            Compiz + games doesn't work well. If you haven't already try without it. I don't know how exactly to do it with distros, but I wouldn't consider playing games with compiz running.

Comment

problems

With this version of the driver i have problems with 3ds..
              When launch 3d applications, like glxgears or fgl_glxgears, the pc shutdown after few seconds.

i have an mobility radeon x600, :S
              it's really frustrating

Comment

finally! i can use compiz-fusion and play DVD with no flickering and other crap!!!

it's been a year and 3 months.... but i am glad we get to this point.

kiryl

Comment

Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
                  finally! i can use compiz-fusion and play DVD with no flickering and other crap!!!

it's been a year and 3 months.... but i am glad we get to this point.

kiryl
                  What is your hardware and distro?
                  Last edited by sabriah; 17 April 2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                    What is your hardware and distro?
                    i have Fedore Core 8

and IBM (Lenovo) T60

Comment

I just want to say that the new driver is nearly perfect with ubuntu hardy and ati mobility x1800. Suspend and Hibernation is working. The performance is great with compiz fusion. No slow scrolling anymore. For now i only use metacity composite manager without compiz fusion. I can play games with high fps and no problems with video too. No crash anymore.

If i want use compiz, i just turn desktop effects on. The only bug is still flickering with xv video on my machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X