No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.4 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess we will never get a proper support for xpress 200m.
    Almost two years of waiting. Unbelievable.

Comment

I get black screen here with HP nc8430 ( mobility 1600)

ATI, where is consistency?
      Last edited by mile; 17 April 2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

What about xrandr?

Has anyone tried dynamic dual-head setup with the new driver using Xrandr?

The aticonfig solution with pairmode and so on doesn't work for me. At least I can't get it set up in a way that I can switch dynamically between my laptop screen and two attached monitors (1680x1050+1280x1024).

Thus I'm forced to use radeonHD which does Xrandr quite nicely, but has other issues.

Comment

Wake up

I just want to suspend/resume my bloody Lenovo laptop, which will be replaced in a year. Yes, I can suspend/resume two or three times successfully with fglrx 8.4, but any tries after that is nothing more than a coin toss. Often it will only be a black screen on resume. Also, 3D is slower after a resume (http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1045), about -100 FPS in fgl_glxgears. Really, I hope the new open source drivers will rock, when they get another 6-12 months of development time behind them.

I have another laptop that is nvidia-based, and the nvidia drivers suck too ! VCs broken, no suspend, runs really hot (yes, the driver is completely updated). So it's not just fglrx that has problems. And a third laptop has an Intel integrated GPU, and it runs really FLAWLESSLY, suspend, Compiz and everything. My next laptop will most likely be completely Intel-based, currently the only sensible choice for a non-gaming Linux-machine. Hardware is worthless (to end user) without a good piece of software driving it.

Comment

Originally posted by shamooki View Post
            Has anyone tried dynamic dual-head setup with the new driver using Xrandr?

The aticonfig solution with pairmode and so on doesn't work for me. At least I can't get it set up in a way that I can switch dynamically between my laptop screen and two attached monitors (1680x1050+1280x1024).

Thus I'm forced to use radeonHD which does Xrandr quite nicely, but has other issues.
            Hi, I use fglrx with exactly the same setup (1680x1050 + an external monitor on 1280x1024). Works fine with fglrx 8.4. I use a combination of aticonfig --enable-monitor + xrandr to dynamically set it up.

Here's my xorg.conf device section:

Section "Device"
            Identifier "Default Device"
            Driver "fglrx"
            Option "DesktopSetup" "horizontal,reverse"
            Option "PairModes" "1680x1050+1680x1050,1680x1050+1280x1024"
            Option "PreferredVRefresh" "60"
            Option "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
            Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
            Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
            Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"
            BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
            EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
              My next laptop will most likely be completely Intel-based, currently the only sensible choice for a non-gaming Linux-machine. Hardware is worthless (to end user) without a good piece of software driving it.
              Oh how I would have loved to get a completely Intel-based machine, but back then Lenovo wouldn't sell the T60 with more than 1024x768 and Intel graphics. Now I have 1400x1050, an x1300 inside, and my Atheros wifi card is also only partly supported. Apart from these two components, I'm totally happy with my T60.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
                Hi, I use fglrx with exactly the same setup (1680x1050 + an external monitor on 1280x1024). Works fine with fglrx 8.4. I use a combination of aticonfig --enable-monitor + xrandr to dynamically set it up.
                Thanks a lot for this hint! I'll try it out as soon as I'm back at my dual-screen setup next week.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                  The drivers works fine for me (Mobility X700 128MB), and AIGLX feels better than ever. This is the first time I'm using it for real.

Problem is my videos are black.
                  Really? Do you not have slow scrolling in compiz, flickering video?

Comment

Ubuntu "restricted driver"

Reading articles like this is bittersweet. I love that there is such coverage but I don't have any point of reference. Installing the AMD driver manually has been a shite in the past. However I've used the Ubuntu "Restricted Driver" quite well the last time I installed with 7.10

I'm struggling to make my point ...

Could you please make a note or two about how new AMD driver releases like this one relate to those in existing distribution use?

Does x distro update their repository driver packages with new releases that mirror those of AMD's public releases?

If so, how long does it normally take?

In Ubuntu specifically, how do I determine what the current "Restricted Driver" I am running actually is?

Are the version numbers similar between the Ubuntu package numbering and the AMD numbering?

Lastly, on a completely different note, can we all stop calling them ATi when clearly they are AMD?

Comment

Has there been anyone who has tried this driver on a AGP (X1950) card yet?

I would like to know whether this driver still crashes my X before I even try.

Comment

Working...
                      X