Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 8.4 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.4 Linux Driver

In the last quarter of 2007 AMD was on a spree with their proprietary Linux driver as they introduced their new OpenGL driver, which brought major performance improvements, and that was followed by AIGLX support. This year, however, their Catalyst Linux driver activity has been relatively quiet for end-users. Since switching over to this much-improved code-base, they have been able to deliver same-month product support for their new graphics processors such as the Radeon HD 3650, 3850/3870, and the 780G-based IGP, which once couldn't be said for this company that had taken them a half-year to deliver support for the Radeon X1000 (R500) and Radeon HD 2000 (R600) product families. Today the Catalyst 8.4 Linux driver has been released, and like the 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3 drivers, this month's update comes with minimal changes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

libatiadlxx.so? Hmm.. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and I'm very likely going to be wrong. Adaptive anti aliasing?

Comment

Would be nice to have the download link?

Comment

Thought so, too, the ATI driver download page hasn't been updated, yet, so here we go:

Comment

So essentially this release is a obscure bug fix release. However, given the mention of the new library, I would assume that attention is being focused on Catalyst 8.5 hence the lack of activity on this driver update. Mind you, I don't have any issues with the current fglrx (3D, Video, etc all work well enough for use) hence why I'm impartial.

[One wonders why they bother with 8.4 then, but they need to keep consistency here I suppose]

Driver notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._84_linux.html

But...if there's a new library involved, I would expect new features. Furthermore, if it is in Beta stage already we might expect to have the 8.5 driver out early in May.

Comment

libatiadlxx.so

hm...
            ad for advanced (or sth else, who cares)
            l for linux
            xx for crossfire?

Hopes never die

Comment

With Catalyst 8.4+, aticonfig will no longer crash on newer Linux distributions where there is no device section within the xorg.conf configuration file.
              i'm getting a deja vu reading this part.

wasn't there a very similar fix few releases before?

libatiadlxx.so? Hmm.. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and I'm very likely going to be wrong. Adaptive anti aliasing?
              displaying adverts in the space occupied by watermark some releases ago ;-)

that would make a nice april's fools joke

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                displaying adverts in the space occupied by watermark some releases ago ;-)

that would make a nice april's fools joke
                Haha, yes and a truly evil joke at that.

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                libatiadlxx.so

hm...
                ad for advanced (or sth else, who cares)
                l for linux
                xx for crossfire?
                Crossfire? Hmm.. Could be, I don't know how they would get crossfire in though, they can't even get DualHead to work properly. I can't imagine what would happen if they enabled crossfire in their drivers at this point in time, I smell disaster. That theory alone has just given me about 10 new names for the next ATI driver.

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                Hopes never die
                No, hopes don't ever die for crossfire, but the driver might literally die if they put that in. I don't think it could handle it right now.
                Last edited by Malikith; 16 April 2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

The drivers works fine for me (Mobility X700 128MB), and AIGLX feels better than ever. This is the first time I'm using it for real.

Problem is my videos are black.

Comment

I havnt used linux on my main pc for ages

I havnt used linux on this pc for ages lol.
                    I am waiting for Crossfire support.

2X 3870X2 would mean, 3x doing nothing.

Anyways i got some other linux boxes, Anyways, X850 XT PE running Open source driver, no major issues.
                    1800 GTO Running FGLRX, Minor issues, annoying.
                    And 1950 XTX, Install issues, X.ORG edit, Corrected Working like 1800 GTO.

thats my story.

my fav must be my x850 PC, it runs nicely, 4.5K fps gears. Yes i have bios modded it, clocked slightly higher volt modded and new cooling, so i got abit high FPS for the card running open source driver.

Anyways, IF amd goes on with supporting videocards themself( SPEED UP PLZ) and give documents i think amd will sell some more videocards and we actually got a amd favored marked share in linux, and tell nvidia Release documents.

Comment

Working...
                    X