Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No 3d Support Sapphire Hd 2600xt for games ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 3d Support Sapphire Hd 2600xt for games ?

i have installed the new ati catalyst drivers 8.3 for my sapphire HD 2600 XT pci express vido card.. I did get the cube finally to work..However when i tried to run openarena my resolution goes haywire ..I m wondering if i have to change my resolution b4 i can run any of those 3da games . .cause each time i try to run the 3d games it never work and i lose all my compiz functionality and my screen resolution.. then my fglrx info changes from the normal one to the vesa one and gives me the brian paul readings. i think because the drivers take the cards natural very high screen resolution that it crashes it. Can anyone tell me what can i do so i can play those 3d games ?my system specs are 2 gigs of ddr 2 ram..am2 amd dual core 5800 processor ,sapphire hd 2600xt and two 120 gig sata drives and one forty gig eide drive which the ubuntu is currently running on.should i try to lower the resolution to 1024 x 768 t o run those 3d games or is there a greater problem i m not understanding or seeing .I really would like to play my 3d games on ubuntu gutsy as i 've switched from windows... not sure how to use "wine" or if i should try it .Just really want to play the open source 3d games available on linux. I s there a solution for this or am i doing something wrong ?

3D games and compiz don't get along well yet, although I haven't heard of symptoms like yours. Can you try disabling compiz before running the game and see if the problem still happens ?
    Test signature

Comment

I have a very similar (if not identical) card to yours. How did you go about installing the driver? I have had no luck on 8.1-8.3 and am curious how you got as far as you did. BTW, I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu.
      Last edited by Ubumble; 18 April 2008, 09:13 AM.

Comment

this guideand link will help you.. please follow it thoroughly.its QUITE GOOD .. MY my advice is to copy and paste all the commands in the terminal window when trying it out .

Comment

Thanks for the info.. have to check how to disable compiz though.. never thought of that .. my thanks in advance in case it works..

Comment

Hmmm. I've been using that tutorial to do the install for all the versions so far and it seems like the drivers has installed without an error. My problem is I get a black screen and the system locks up when X starts. I was curious if you had done anything else to make things work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubumble View Post
              Hmmm. I've been using that tutorial to do the install for all the versions so far and it seems like the drivers has installed without an error. My problem is I get a black screen and the system locks up when X starts. I was curious if you had done anything else to make things work.

check at the bottom of the manual thereare some troubling shooting solutions.. especuially those for the 3d effects and especially where it says to restart b4 you continue to manually configure the driver .. then tryt osee if the installtion went properly .. by doing the glxinfo and fglrx commanda t ocheck your read out
              the troubleshooting part of the guide is quite useful.. check it out thoroughly.. i have encountered one other problem... if it works out for u and says composite extension not available ..use the command line terminal to reinstall xgl..if u 're not sure ..google ur error and there are plenty of answers online which should help u..i find it strange that u are getting problems.. this guide worked perfectly for me .after u have installed the driver ..do this command sudo apt-get update then run this command. then sudo apt-get install
              compiz compizconfig-settings-manager..then to run compiz do alt then F2 and enter the command compiz --replace .. you should be able to run compiz then

Comment

On looking at the guide again .. make sure u did not use the command to switch off your monitor...i would advise formatting and trying fresh .. and trying and remembering to reboot just before u configure the driver manually .. then if u still cannot get thru try the troubleshooting part of the guide the n

Comment

Working...
                X