Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer C720 Chromebook Delivers Fast Ubuntu Performance

Phoronix: Acer C720 Chromebook Delivers Fast Ubuntu Performance

The Acer C720 was recently released as the latest Google Chromebook selling for just $199 USD. I have been running the Acer C720 Chromebook recently but not with Chrome OS and instead Ubuntu 13.10 Linux. This Chromebook with a Haswell-based dual-core Celeron CPU runs Ubuntu Linux rather nicely. Here are the first thorough benchmarks from this low-cost laptop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it extensibe at all?

Hmm, it looks like a nice device. However, can it at all be extended?

For example, would it be possible to add more RAM without having to solder anything? Is the hard drive mSATA and can it be replaced? Giving it a bigger SSD and more RAM would make it much much nicer- things these days don't seem to be CPU bound.

And I wish vertical resolution was a tad higher than 1366x768, but then it is a 11" display... And I hate this kind of arrow layout in the keyboard- when left and right keys are bigger than up and down.

Regarding installing Linux and BIOS- it seems to be running Coreboot. I assume it can be made to load Debian/Ubuntu/whatever Linux without going through SeaBios? SeaBios is only needed to get the install CDs booted?

Comment

no windows key! Thanks google!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        Hmm, it looks like a nice device. However, can it at all be extended?

For example, would it be possible to add more RAM without having to solder anything? Is the hard drive mSATA and can it be replaced? Giving it a bigger SSD and more RAM would make it much much nicer- things these days don't seem to be CPU bound.
        RAM is soldered. SSD is NGFF, and these are not available off-the-shelf as of now. They will probably remain OEM-only for the foreseeable future unless something drastic happens to force everyone off mSATA and mPCIe.

So short answer: no.

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        Regarding installing Linux and BIOS- it seems to be running Coreboot. I assume it can be made to load Debian/Ubuntu/whatever Linux without going through SeaBios? SeaBios is only needed to get the install CDs booted?
        It can load any x86 operating system you throw at it. In fact, just 4 days ago I helped a friend to install Windows 8 on it using the instructions posted by Google themselves. Of course it didn't succeed (Windows will need to diet more if it wants to fit in that 16GB SSD) but I was able to boot to the Windows installer.

Comment

Yes, ram is soldered so no easy upgrade there. The ssd can be replaced though apparently, $99 for a 128gb on amazon.

I ordered one of these chromebooks earlier in the week, can't wait to get it now seeing these results.

Ps sorry Michael I forgot to use your amazon link, will make sure I do next time.

Comment

Lol @ $200 chromebook beating $2000 macbook pro

Comment

I currently use a Dual Core Atom Asus Eee PC for programming at uni or when on the go. However the lack of performance finally started to piss me off.
              I got happy I found a cheap replacement, but then it doesn't have Function keys (F1 - F12), Home, End and Delete. It could use a Windows(Meta) key as well.
              Mouse not yet working kills the portable factor as well.
              Last edited by vivo; 12 December 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Lol @ $200 chromebook beating $2000 macbook pro
                $2000 was the price in 2010. You may get it for less than $1000 now and get more ram, geforce graphics, bigger display etc.
                The price difference however still remains impressive, I second you that.

Comment

Nice to see low-end hardware being throughly reviewed and benchmarked, these days it seems that most other sites are bored with these devices, and prefer to all rush to the same top-of-the-line expensive hardware.

Would really like to see some more gaming benchmarks with the latest mesa drivers, especially source games

Comment

Too bad its 100 mbit/s, not 1000 mbit/s Ethernet.
                    Too bad it has big bulky legacy VGA port.

The build quality looks rather unimpressive too.
                    And no SSD?

Really, it feels they just took a shit laptop and put Chrome OS on it and called it a Chromebook.

A chromebook is supposed to be thin, slim, light and sexy.

Comment

Working...
                    X