Acer C720 Chromebook Delivers Fast Ubuntu Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Too bad its 100 mbit/s, not 1000 mbit/s Ethernet.
    Too bad it has big bulky legacy VGA port.

The build quality looks rather unimpressive too.
    And no SSD?

Really, it feels they just took a shit laptop and put Chrome OS on it and called it a Chromebook.

A chromebook is supposed to be thin, slim, light and sexy.
    It has 16GB SSD. And what you expect is delivered by apple for the according price. IMHO sexy is the last I expect from a device - sexy is a term reserved for womans.
    And who cares if a device is slim if it is not thicker than 2 cm? The weight matters, but that is also only 1.3 kg...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      It has 16GB SSD. And what you expect is delivered by apple for the according price. IMHO sexy is the last I expect from a device - sexy is a term reserved for womans.
      And who cares if a device is slim if it is not thicker than 2 cm? The weight matters, but that is also only 1.3 kg...
      I don't think a chromebook should have any mechanical hard disk drives.

2 cm? That is huge fat thick!
      That was okay in a laptop sold in 1993.

It gets too big, too bulky, too inconvenient.

2 cm is alright for a high-powered gaming laptop with optical disc drive.
      But its way too thick for a chromebook.

Comment

2 cm? ... That was okay in a laptop sold in 1993.

(...)

2 cm is alright for a high-powered gaming laptop with optical disc drive.
        But its way too thick for a chromebook.
        You have no idea how much 2cm is do you? Either that, or you're talking about tablets, not laptops.

Or you're just being sarcastic

Comment

This device is just big and heavy toy if doesn't have at least 4 GB RAM and 120 GB SATA SSD or 1 TB HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            This device is just big and heavy toy if doesn't have at least 4 GB RAM and 120 GB SATA SSD or 1 TB HDD.
            It's a laptop not a gentleman sausage, as such I wouldn't class 11 inches and 1.3kg as big or heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
              It's a laptop not a gentleman sausage, as such I wouldn't class 11 inches and 1.3kg as big or heavy.
              1.3kg device is too heavy if it has only 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD.
              1.3kg device should have at least 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD or 120 GB SATA SSD replaceable with 1 TB HDD.

Comment

I don't think a chromebook should have any mechanical hard disk drives.
                What are you talking about? I'm one hoping that it actually would have some sort of a hard disk drive, which it obviously doesn't have, because it's a chromebook. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                  It's not a laptop, its a chromebook.
                  A laptop is a powerful general-purpose portable computer.

A chromebook is web appliance. A low-power, light, portable device with only a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    1.3kg device is too heavy if it has only 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD.
                    1.3kg device should have at least 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD or 120 GB SATA SSD replaceable with 1 TB HDD.
                    There's a 4GB version available (and I absolutely agree this is the version to get even if of course it's a bit more expensive).
                    NGFF SSD's are a bit difficult to get but apparently there is at least one 120GB option. Though of course with those 2 upgrades it will run closer to 350$ rather than 200$. But neither option makes it "more heavy".

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      Lol @ $200 chromebook beating $2000 macbook pro
                      The Macbook Pro numbers are very seriously off. There's no way a core i5 520m can't keep up with a C2D T9300 or even the old Core Duo in some cases. I think there's 2 possible explanations for this:
                      1) Missing reclocking support of the nvidia graphics chip causes lots of power draw, in turn causes cpu thermal throttling due to insufficient cooling. IIRC though most notebook graphics chips tend to use low clocks not high ones at bootup, so this seems unlikely.
                      2) The battery is dead (not just low capacity but the controller refuses to charge/use it). This will cause some very heavy (undocumented and hidden) cpu throttling on these MacBooks. The reason for that behavior is because the peak power draw of these notebooks is in fact higher than what the charger can provide it relies on the battery to be able to provide enough power for these peaks. And if the battery is dead it will use some well hidden throttling mechanism so it can never reach those peaks in the first place. Having experienced this just recently this is definitely no fun (though that was on a SNB MacBook Pro - it did get reduced to a constant 0.8Ghz frequency even though the cpu freq indicators were still saying 2.4Ghz+... - I think on pre-SNB MacBooks throttling mechanism is a bit different and more like a fixed factor of 2).
                      There might be other possiblities (like thermal throttling due to broken fan) but in any case something is definitely not right.

Comment

Working...
                      X