Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Decides On Headless Java, Third-Party Repos

Phoronix: Fedora Decides On Headless Java, Third-Party Repos

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee is back in the season of evaluating features for the next Fedora Linux release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The headless Java packages for Fedora 21 will have a smaller dependency chain and be more ideal for installing in server environments.
    I wouldn't count on the latter... I know that at least some of the Oracle applications use Java-based graphical installers, so even though it's a server, you'd still need both a full version of Java, and X support...

Comment

Ubuntu has headless package from a lot of time

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Ubuntu has headless package from a lot of time
        ...because it imported the java headless package from Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
          I wouldn't count on the latter... I know that at least some of the Oracle applications use Java-based graphical installers, so even though it's a server, you'd still need both a full version of Java, and X support...
          Then, if the Oracle application requires it, install the headfull version. Luckily the world doesn't depend only on Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
            Then, if the Oracle application requires it, install the headfull version. Luckily the world doesn't depend only on Oracle.
            Sadly, at work mine does...

Comment

Working...
            X