Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is Forking The GNOME Control Center

Phoronix: Canonical Is Forking The GNOME Control Center

The latest open-source project being forked by the Ubuntu developers at Canonical is the GNOME Control Center. In Ubuntu 14.04, there will now be the Unity Control Center...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Way off again Michael..... The whole point of this fork was to unlinking Unity from gnome dependencies that prevent ubuntu users from having Unity and Gnome3 installed on the same machine. This isn't being lazy or attacking Gnome, but to allow users to run a Unity and Gnome DE system, which they can't offer currently due to dependency conflicts.

Your a spin machine.

Comment

That's a pity, in the last gnome control center version they actually fixed mouse pointer acceleration whose support was half baked up until now.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Way off again Michael..... The whole point of this fork was to unlinking Unity from gnome dependencies that prevent ubuntu users from having Unity and Gnome3 installed on the same machine. This isn't being lazy or attacking Gnome, but to allow users to run a Unity and Gnome DE system, which they can't offer currently due to dependency conflicts.

Your a spin machine.
        What's way off? That's exactly what the article says, they're forking to prevent package collisions with GNOME. Nowhere in the article is "lazy" or "attacking gnome" mentioned. I think it's you who is lazy, not even bothering to read the articles you attack...

Comment

Not only that, the mailing list post indicates that it's not a long-term fork, just a convenience thing in the near term...

Originally posted by mailing list
          To be very clear, this is a fork with a limited lifespan. We don't expect
          to make significant changes to it outside of stability and security fixes.

Comment

at least...
            but hey, i only use the unity.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
              at least...
              but hey, i only use the unity.
              Then this doesn't affect you. GNOME users will see the benefits. I think this is a sensible and rather altruistic (as it doesn't really benefit their main flavor that much, but people using the GNOME flavor) choice of Canonical.

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              Not only that, the mailing list post indicates that it's not a long-term fork, just a convenience thing in the near term...
              Yeah, I expected that, as I guess they'll be ditching GNOME dependencies with Unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Canonical Is Forking The GNOME Control Center

The latest open-source project being forked by the Ubuntu developers at Canonical is the GNOME Control Center. In Ubuntu 14.04, there will now be the Unity Control Center...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0MTI
                Divesting themselves of Gnome is probably better in the long run for them given the path they've chosen to travel...

Someone say "forking Canonical" 10 times real fast now.....

Comment

Way off again Michael..... The whole point of this fork was to unlinking Unity from gnome dependencies that prevent ubuntu users from having Unity and Gnome3 installed on the same machine.
                  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                  Sorry for laughing at you, but you do know how Unity 7 works, right? It's just a Compiz plugin on top of, you guessed it, Gnome 3. It CAN'T be "unlinked" as you put it.
                  As for Unity 8 (which is Gnome-free), they already have the Unity System Settings project in development. This is just a short-term thing until Unity 8 gets shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                    Sorry for laughing at you, but you do know how Unity 7 works, right? It's just a Compiz plugin on top of, you guessed it, Gnome 3. It CAN'T be "unlinked" as you put it.
                    As for Unity 8 (which is Gnome-free), they already have the Unity System Settings project in development. This is just a short-term thing until Unity 8 gets shipped.
                    You didn't understand his point. The thing is, some of the GNOME dependencies used by Unity are heavily patched. Some of these patches are diverging too much from vanilla, which gives problems to GNOME users, as they get stuck to older revisions with the version Unity uses. I might be somewhat considered "lazyness", although I see it as not wasting their resources: they are going to drop Unity 7, so it makes no sense to make great works toward updating a dependency they plan to ditch in the near-term (around next year).

Comment

Working...
                    X