Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Machines Ship Friday, SteamOS Images Coming

Phoronix: Steam Machines Ship Friday, SteamOS Images Coming

Valve has just revealed their first 300 beta units of Steam Machines and their Steam Controllers are shipping this week, Friday the 13th. Also available at this time will be the first public SteamOS images!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally. I can't understand all the butthurtness of the US-only shipping. They really need the feedback now. Delaying the shipping could be destructive.

Comment

MINE?

Comment

Originally posted by volca View Post
        Finally. I can't understand all the butthurtness of the US-only shipping. They really need the feedback now. Delaying the shipping could be destructive.
        It is the internet, what do you want. I am sad that I have no chance to get one of the prototype been in Canada, but shrug not like I can't play with SteamOS, but would sure have liked it, has my gaming PC need an upgrade and sadly budget is lacking, so it was some hope for a replacement, once my feedback is no longer needed on the prototype, has they are not gonna go through the hassle of recalling them once done.

Comment

I think AMD should highlight this wonderful event by release a new version of its catalyst driver!

Where is catalyst 13.12 AMD?

Comment

Really looking forward to see what the SteamOS is like. I have a few spare HDDs that I may as well try to fill with it to see how well it works.

Also, I just hope the SteamOS release will mean a bigger chance of CS:GO and Portal 2 hitting linux, finally. I wish for a no-reboot solution for my casual CS:GO interests

Comment

I'd love to play with SteamOs, but unless it's shipping with newer Catalyst drivers than what has been publicly released so far it would be a waste with my crossfired 7970's. At some point next year and a couple releases later I'll dabble with it.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Who cares if we can get in the beta or not? On Friday we can get the Steam OS images and make our own Steam machines with blackjack and hookers. Shame catalyst drivers are in such a poor state, a steamroller APU would probably make a good inexpensive Steam machine.

Comment

Yep, the state the catalyst drivers are in calls for AMD to instead invest some more dev time into the mesa drivers instead. Just seeing how well it went with intel (although they do not use gallium3d) I think a lot could be done if they threw in some more devs. Personally I only have 1 game that works bad with radeon driver (Brutal Legend). All others are satisfactory.

Comment

So does this mean Portal 2 and CS:GO are coming to GNU/Linux on Friday too?

Comment

Working...
                    X