Steam Machines Ship Friday, SteamOS Images Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
    So does this mean Portal 2 and CS:GO are coming to GNU/Linux on Friday too?
    I wish, but I don't think so. No reason to believe that yet. I think they have their hands full and don't have the time to port CS:GO and Portal 2. On the other hand I believe I read somewhere there was an internal beta of CS:GO already. Dunno.

Comment

Re: who cares

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
      Who cares if we can get in the beta or not? On Friday we can get the Steam OS images and make our own Steam machines with blackjack and hookers.
      But can you make your own Steam Controller?

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
        Who cares if we can get in the beta or not? On Friday we can get the Steam OS images and make our own Steam machines...
        But the controller! I just want the controller.

Comment

Originally posted by shredwheat View Post
          But the controller! I just want the controller.
          The controller that those that get the prototype is not the final model, it got physical buttons instead of the screen, but everything else should be pretty much the same.

Comment

I agree, I want the controller as well. When it becomes available retail I'm sure most of use here will get one. It's not going to be locked to steamos. We'll still be able to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
              So does this mean Portal 2 and CS:GO are coming to GNU/Linux on Friday too?
              I hope so, at least for Portal 2. I can wait for CS:GO as I mostly just wanted that to add to my pool of available GMod models rather than to actually play it, but Portal 2 I've been wanting to play for ages and so far I have resisted the temptation to install it via Wine to try it out.

Comment

I just want that controller too. After the last batch of demo videos, I think I really started to see the potential. Being able to customize a mixture of absolute and relative movement for each pad could work amazingly well.

Comment

Originally posted by volca View Post
                  Yep, the state the catalyst drivers are in calls for AMD to instead invest some more dev time into the mesa drivers instead. Just seeing how well it went with intel (although they do not use gallium3d) I think a lot could be done if they threw in some more devs. Personally I only have 1 game that works bad with radeon driver (Brutal Legend). All others are satisfactory.
                  I think there are already only 1 linux-catalyst devs left at AMD. Did you realize that the last stable linux-catalyst is half a year old and that since a year every new version of linux-catalyst only hat 6 to 10 bugfixes and almost no new features? That cannot be the work of a dev TEAM. In contrast the Mesa/OSS team of AMD grew since the last year and especially the r600 and radeonsi drivers have seen big improvements.

So I say, that AMD already is going in fact the INTEL way.

IMHO - The only reason why there is 1 linux-catalyst dev left is, that they have to maintain linux-catalyst until openGL 4.4 and full openCL are in Mesa. Because there are many AMD enterprise customers depending on linux-catalyst for their FirePro Workstation/Server cards.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                    I hope so, at least for Portal 2. I can wait for CS:GO as I mostly just wanted that to add to my pool of available GMod models rather than to actually play it, but Portal 2 I've been wanting to play for ages and so far I have resisted the temptation to install it via Wine to try it out.
                    I'm also hoping that Portal 2 will get ported soon. I bought it a month ago when it was on sale, since it should eventually get ported. I installed it on Windows once, but I just can't get myself to boot into Windows anymore. It's like having to go to the dentist there is just no way you can enjoy it.

Comment

Very surprised that people are interested in the controller. From the demo with CS:GO it looked like the guy was aiming at the targets in slow motion.

Comment

Working...
                      X