Activision Is Preventing A Game From Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by volca View Post
    As much as I dislike their stance, I have to disagree with you.
    1. Steping over copyright is not a valid reaction.
    Sure it is.

Comment

I am kind of surprised to see such a stance on linux targeted website.

Comment

Hey folks.

My understanding is that Gabriel Knight will use Unity 3D, which is Linux compatible, and the studios did not request extra funds for the port. They were perfectly happy with providing the port for themselves.

Comment

for that platform. Just PC
          And today we learned: Our platforms are not PCs.

Comment

As much as I dislike their stance, I have to disagree with you.
            2. The activision games all suck

Just ignore them, Kotick is a prick anyway.
            While I agree with you on 1, I can see how, if they did not commit any funds to porting to your platform,
            you get not to commit any funds on supporting their games.

Or, to put under a different light, by enforcing monopolizing tactics -who knows what three-way between MS, Apple and Activision is going on,
            they are breaking the law. Just because they can afford better representation for their illegal actions, doesn't make their illegal actions less
            illegal than a single user's illegal actions.

But yeah, I otherwise agree with you.

Comment

Will respectfully disagree. Have you ever heard of civil disobedience? This is what I preach here. Sometimes lawful actions just don't help.

2. The activision games all suck
              Perhaps they do suck, but still, if I have to choose for Linux, between sucky games and no games, obviously sucky ones are chosen here.

Disclaimer: I assume they forced dev to not doing Linux port, not merely discouraged him. Especially if dev decided to make Linux port on his own.

Comment

its not a news, but since long ago microsoft try to capture the eyes of the PC only to Windows. PC = Windows
                they always will do this statement.
                different OSs came and this story repeat. OS/2, Beos, Linux or whatever.
                But now i think they have a little headache... so many systems with linux are appearing.

i think if i have a PC and a game is designed for PC and it didnt run with whatever system i have installed. the game sucks. it have to be on the front box "for Windows", "for beos" or anything...

Comment

If Activision is feuding with Valve I guess it's no shock.. I'll just vote with my wallet and not buy it. I feel sorry for Pinkerton Road and Phoenix Online Studios though it's not their fault.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by arstyl View Post
                    Hey folks.

My understanding is that Gabriel Knight will use Unity 3D, which is Linux compatible, and the studios did not request extra funds for the port. They were perfectly happy with providing the port for themselves.

...and Activision (publisher, promoter, distributer, customer support) probably told them they weren't interested in a Linux port. That is - they don't think that it is worth time/money/getting out of bed for. Heck I use Linux, and I think that it wouldn't actually make money: I am certain most Linux users will just boot Windows if they actually wanted the game.

Until the Steam Machine exists, and has a couple of million users paying for stuff, the real world is not quite as idealistic as the suckers who stick their credit cards into Kickstarter.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                      Will respectfully disagree. Have you ever heard of civil disobedience? This is what I preach here. Sometimes lawful actions just don't help.

Perhaps they do suck, but still, if I have to choose for Linux, between sucky games and no games, obviously sucky ones are chosen here.

Disclaimer: I assume they forced dev to not doing Linux port, not merely discouraged him. Especially if dev decided to make Linux port on his own.
                      The situation is pretty much the same with music. Major studios force the band to do compromises, etc. Still, this is not a valid reason to damage the band that made the music (I assume you only disagree with the producer, not the author).

If anything, there should be a way to buy the game for even a different platform, but directly from the author. As there is probably no such way, too bad for the author, I just skip the deal altogether. There are loads of good games for linux already, and more will come soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X