NVIDIA Updates Its Legacy Linux Driver Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Why can't AMD be more like nVidia? nVidia seems to care enough about its customers to not force them to use the open source cancer drivers that turn any graphics card in Voodoo2.
    Funny story. I wanted to try out Windows 8 on my laptop, and found out that NVidia doesn't provide drivers for my 7200 Go. That's hardly what i would call old hardware. AMD provides drivers for cards that old.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Funny story. I wanted to try out Windows 8 on my laptop, and found out that NVidia doesn't provide drivers for my 7200 Go. That's hardly what i would call old hardware. AMD provides drivers for cards that old.
      7200 Go is the same generation as the ATI X1000 series (2005-2006) and isn't supported in Win 8 so I don't know where you get that AMD is supporting older cards in Win 8. Their legacy drivers go back to their HD 2000 series with Win 8 (To which nVidias counterpart at the time was the 8 series and still is supported by the most recent Win 8.1 drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        7200 Go is the same generation as the ATI X1000 series (2005-2006) and isn't supported in Win 8 so I don't know where you get that AMD is supporting older cards in Win 8. Their legacy drivers go back to their HD 2000 series with Win 8 (To which nVidias counterpart at the time was the 8 series and still is supported by the most recent Win 8.1 drivers).
        Hmm, you are right. Both companies are equally terrible in their windows support. I don't have an X1000 card so i never bothered checking on the ATI side.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          In theory, they could be supported forever. However, dropping support for those products will happen as well eventually. We have already seen a lot of legacy support dropped recently on older hardware because the effort outweighs the reward for maintaining them.
          As long as the docs exist, someone can pick things up. Just a while ago somebody updated the Rage128 drivers to optimize moving 3d windows.

Comment

Working...
          X