Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA (Optimus) PRIME Update Lands In Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: NVIDIA (Optimus) PRIME Update Lands In Ubuntu 14.04

The nvidia-prime 0.5 package landed today for Ubuntu 14.04 in the long-standing effort to improve NVIDIA Optimus laptop support under Linux for systems with both Intel and NVIDIA graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

no moreBumblebee

Finally we can switch between CPU and GPU.

Comment

I assume this only works with the open source drivers. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        I assume this only works with the open source drivers. Am I right?
        Only with proprietary.

We only support laptops with NVIDIA
        optimus hardware and nvidia driver >= 319
        Added prime-select switcher to switch between the
        integrated and the discrete GPU. This allows users
        to disable the discrete GPU to save power. Users'
        settings are now saved and applied on log out and
        on boot.
        Meh. I'll stay with Bumblebee...

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
          Only with proprietary.
          That is surprising. How can that work with the proprietary driver, don't they need the driver to support that kind of functionality? Did nVidia add support for such thing already in their drivers? If so, why didn't they go all the way to make Optimus supported by default in their drivers like they do on Windows?

Comment

That is surprising. How can that work with the proprietary driver, don't they need the driver to support that kind of functionality? Did nVidia add support for such thing already in their drivers? If so, why didn't they go all the way to make Optimus supported by default in their drivers like they do on Windows?
            It looks like they did add some support to nvidia-settings; finally Nvidia half-heartedly supporting Optimus on Linux?

Unfortunately the "muxless systems" comment makes me think the Macbook I'm using will still have mostly broken support.

Comment

From what I've heard they do want support, but the kernel thingys they need aren't available for non-open source drivers.

linux.slashdot.org/story/12/10/11/1918251/alan-cox-to-nvidia-you-cant-use-dma-buf

Comment

Being able to change the gpu tu use at next reboot? Seems like what Catalyst offers now to me.

And nvidia-prime code is "Copyright 2013 Canonical Ltd.", like the Catalyst code to switch gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
                  From what I've heard they do want support, but the kernel thingys they need aren't available for non-open source drivers.

linux.slashdot.org/story/12/10/11/1918251/alan-cox-to-nvidia-you-cant-use-dma-buf
                  Then again: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMwMjI

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                    Meh. I'll stay with Bumblebee...
                    Assuming your only concern is having to logout to use, and the PRIME and all the necessary power control parts are not yet done and integrated into the kernel, this seems like a great stop gap solution. I mean, come one, how hard is it to log out and back in? Firefox/Chrome saves your tabs, and most applications fast start because they are still in memory.

Comment

Working...
                    X