Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Terminal Gets Text Rewrap On Resizing

Phoronix: GNOME Terminal Gets Text Rewrap On Resizing

GNOME 3.12 is looking exciting because of continued Wayland improvements and other desktop work, but we've now found out that the GNOME Terminal is receiving some love in the GNOME 3.12 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

rxvt has had this feature for years. It's one of those features you only miss when it's gone, and it's the primary reason I've been sticking with rxvt ever since.

Now there's finally a second terminal with this feature.

Give it a couple of decades, and maybe by then konsole and the cygwin terminal will have followed.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      rxvt has had this feature for years. It's one of those features you only miss when it's gone, and it's the primary reason I've been sticking with rxvt ever since.

Now there's finally a second terminal with this feature.
      terminology does it also...

Comment

Im glad to see gnome developers finally putting features in, instead of taking them out. Does anybody know if they'll bring back transparency to gnome terminal soon?

Comment

Finally!! I agree with rohcQaH. I never knew how useful this was until I started using a Mac. However, this also brings a few more issues like some lines not getting updated in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            terminology does it also...
            Indeed, my first thought was E is bringing some fresh competition, they will kick some ass in the future.

Comment

I thought no rewrap is a deliberate design decision. And wow, why does even a lousy text editor have rewrap but gnome/kde consoles don't? They use a different/archaic toolkit to draw text or what?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                I thought no rewrap is a deliberate design decision. And wow, why does even a lousy text editor have rewrap but gnome/kde consoles don't? They use a different/archaic toolkit to draw text or what?
                Text rewrapping in terminals is a bit more difficult than in text editors, I think there might be issues e.g. when using curses(-like) applications.

Comment

Originally posted by pizzapill View Post
                  Im glad to see gnome developers finally putting features in, instead of taking them out. Does anybody know if they'll bring back transparency to gnome terminal soon?
                  Not quite sure what you mean here since transparency has never been taken away.

Comment

Originally posted by pizzapill View Post
                    Good question! It is one reason I don't use it anymore. No transparency for a 2013 terminal? It's a joke?

An asking feature 9 years old and present on all modern OS: preview picture in file chooser, Windows have this feature for windows 95! https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154, shame...

Comment

Working...
                    X