Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions about how to make a Radeon HD 7790 work decently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Living in denial eh? How is installing for a 7790 any different than installing for an array of 7950s and 6850s? It works the same today as it did forever before...
    Look mate, I have absolutely no reason to be living in denial, no need to insult me.

As for the 7950 and 6850, you've seem to forgotten one thing, open-source drivers don't work on all cards, and while 7950 and 6850 do work,
    keep in mind that they've been out for longer and the developers had time to make support for them. The situation with the 7790 is different
    as it's the latest card in the 7xxx series and it's based on a different chip (Bonaire) which is only included on it and the R7 260x, so drivers still
    don't support it (Even AMD's FGLRX had their own performance driver for the 7790 for some time). And to prove my point,
    while Ubuntu did crash on my 7790, on me bro's 7750 OpenGL2.0 seemed to have worked out of the box.
    OFC X server will only crash on Ubuntu 13.10 as it's the first release to use 3d graphics in the display manager. So Ubuntu 13.04 and lower won't crash X server.
    Hope this helped you understand my point, cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by dannydamsky View Post
      Look mate, I have absolutely no reason to be living in denial, no need to insult me.

As for the 7950 and 6850, you've seem to forgotten one thing, open-source drivers don't work on all cards, and while 7950 and 6850 do work,
      keep in mind that they've been out for longer and the developers had time to make support for them. The situation with the 7790 is different
      as it's the latest card in the 7xxx series and it's based on a different chip (Bonaire) which is only included on it and the R7 260x, so drivers still
      don't support it (Even AMD's FGLRX had their own performance driver for the 7790 for some time). And to prove my point,
      while Ubuntu did crash on my 7790, on me bro's 7750 OpenGL2.0 seemed to have worked out of the box.
      OFC X server will only crash on Ubuntu 13.10 as it's the first release to use 3d graphics in the display manager. So Ubuntu 13.04 and lower won't crash X server.
      Hope this helped you understand my point, cheers!
      Logically, that made 0% sense whatsoever. It's also full of wrong information.

Comment

Logically, that made 0% sense whatsoever. It's also full of wrong information.
        If you don't believe me try it yourself!
        If you'd understand how drivers get developed a little, you'd know that it takes time to
        support a certain product. As for the info I provided, it's 100% accurate, maybe you should do a little research
        before going smartass eh?

Comment

R7 260x support?

Hey, does anyone know when the R7 260x will be supported by the open source driver? It's actually just a slightly changed Radeon HD 7790 (which is suppiorted?).
          I use ArchLinux and the latest drivers from the repos but I just get a black screen when trying to lauch something graphical. Xorg says something like "Display 0 not found" (If I remember correctly).

Any idea?

PS: Btw sorry if I didn't read threw all the posts. Just too many
          Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 30 December 2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

If you don't believe me try it yourself!
            If you'd understand how drivers get developed a little, you'd know that it takes time to
            support a certain product. As for the info I provided, it's 100% accurate, maybe you should do a little research
            before going smartass eh?
            It is you that needs to do some research because the information you provided was not 100% accurate, and you have clearly demonstrated that you don't understand what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with drivers in the first place. First of all, the GPU you are using will not magically alter how you install a driver. Second of all, HD 7790s are not new by any means and have been supported in Catalyst for many months now.

Comment

It is you that needs to do some research because the information you provided was not 100% accurate, and you have clearly demonstrated that you don't understand what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with drivers in the first place. First of all, the GPU you are using will not magically alter how you install a driver. Second of all, HD 7790s are not new by any means and have been supported in Catalyst for many months now.
              They've been supported by AMD's crappy performance driver, which was last updated in April but still was available for download at least until September, so officially the AMD FGLRX didn't support the 7790 until not so long ago.
              Secondly it has a lot to do with drivers, if you were like me and you followed each new card's driver's release notes you'd see that it has much to do with the driver.
              And most importantly, when you say that the info I gave wasn't accurate, you should know to prove me wrong without just making statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                Hey, does anyone know when the R7 260x will be supported by the open source driver? It's actually just a slightly changed Radeon HD 7790 (which is suppiorted?).
                I use ArchLinux and the latest drivers from the repos but I just get a black screen when trying to lauch something graphical. Xorg says something like "Display 0 not found" (If I remember correctly).

Any idea?

PS: Btw sorry if I didn't read threw all the posts. Just too many
                The R7 260x is officially supported actually, you should make sure that you're installing the latest beta driver, and that you have all the required dependencies.
                Besides that you might try doing "amdconfig --initial" after the installation.

If it still won't work, try looking for a solution on the Arch wiki and forums, they help a lot.

Comment

The R7 260x is officially supported actually, you should make sure that you're installing the latest beta driver, and that you have all the required dependencies.
                  Besides that you might try doing "amdconfig --initial" after the installation.

If it still won't work, try looking for a solution on the Arch wiki and forums, they help a lot.
                  But you are refering to the proprietery AMD driver right? My question was concerning the open source Radeon driver (I actually mentioned it in my post).
                  Shouldn't it also be supported by the Radeon driver? And if not, when?

Comment

They've been supported by AMD's crappy performance driver, which was last updated in April but still was available for download at least until September, so officially the AMD FGLRX didn't support the 7790 until not so long ago.
                    Secondly it has a lot to do with drivers, if you were like me and you followed each new card's driver's release notes you'd see that it has much to do with the driver.
                    And most importantly, when you say that the info I gave wasn't accurate, you should know to prove me wrong without just making statements.
                    You don't seem to understand simple logic at all so your comments are merely incoherent nonsense. You are stating that different driver versions magically change how you install drivers when that is not the case. The driver installer doesn't give a crap about what GPU you have installed. Seriously, I package my own Catalyst drivers for every new driver release and install that to 5 desktops -- nothing has changed at all. Furthermore, AMD's drivers have been updated at least once every two months so I have no idea where you have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                      But you are refering to the proprietery AMD driver right? My question was concerning the open source Radeon driver (I actually mentioned it in my post).
                      Shouldn't it also be supported by the Radeon driver? And if not, when?
                      The open-source driver, I suspect will be more or less OK on Kernel 3.13, Mesa 10, and Xorg 1.15 . As there have been many improvements in these new releases especially to RadeonSI (The open-source driver).

Comment

Working...
                      X