Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Suggestions about how to make a Radeon HD 7790 work decently?

So I'm thinking of upgrading my Saucy Salamander to Trusty Tahr now that the final LTS is out. I figure I can remove 3.14.0-031400rc2-generic & other non-repo kernels that I fooled with, disable oibaf/graphics-drivers, reboot into the borked radeon saucy graphics, dist-upgrade to Trusty Tahr with its "3.13.0-24.46 Ubuntu Linux kernel which is based on the v3.13.9 upstream stable Linux kernel." According to the Tahr release notes the new LTS seems like it should handle my card.
    The Xorg display server and drivers have been updated to the 15.0.1 release and mesa has been updated to 10.1.
    From the version numbers as I understand them this should be good enough to give my Radeon HD 7790 an acceptable radeon driver. I guess I'll report back if smoke starts billowing out of my case. I don't know that I would be using the radeonSI stuff anymore, so I gather I can disable my xorg.conf.

Section "Module"
    Load "dri2"
    Load "glamoregl"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "ati" # was radeon
    Driver "ati" # was radeib
    Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    EndSection

Use the stable kernel

Follow the script for command line install do not skip any steps
    Simply open a terminal and copy and paste the commands after the $
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
    From the version numbers as I understand them this should be good enough to give my Radeon HD 7790 an acceptable radeon driver. I guess I'll report back if smoke starts billowing out of my case. I don't know that I would be using the radeonSI stuff anymore, so I gather I can disable my xorg.conf.
    If you mean "good enough to give ... an acceptable open source graphics stack" then you'll still want a 3.14 kernel or you won't get dpm on CI parts (like yours) and so you won't get full performance. You'll probably want to pick up the latest userspace bits while you're at it :

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTY1NTU

The big benefit of using 14.04 as a base is that you shouldn't have to manually change xorg.conf to use the full open source stack (13.10 just used kernel modesetting). You'll still be using the radeonsi driver in mesa for 3D acceleration.

Would wait another 6 to 12 months to get a good kernel + good graphics drivers + both considered stable.