Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlightenment's Terminal Gets New Features

Default Enlightenment's Terminal Gets New Features

Phoronix: Enlightenment's Terminal Gets New Features

Terminology, the terminal emulator for the Enlightenment desktop built atop their EFL libraries, is up to version 0.4 and it's landed heavy with new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzODk

Something I've never gotten is WHY each desktop environment feels like needs to build a terminal off of their libraries. Why isn't there an non-desktop linked standard terminal so we can all move on?

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Something I've never gotten is WHY each desktop environment feels like needs to build a terminal off of their libraries. Why isn't there an non-desktop linked standard terminal so we can all move on?
    Why is this bothering you. Are you a developer that is wasting their precious time on something?

AFAIK there's xterm which works everywhere, have fun using that.

Why isn't there an non-desktop linked standard terminal so we can all move on?
    Sakura may be? http://www.pleyades.net/david/projects/sakura

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Nope, GTK/VTE based. On a pure KDE desktop one wouldn't want to have to install the entire GTK/cairo/glib stack.

Some idiots try to make their own display server, instead of relying on the existing non-desktop linked standard one... why complain about terminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Nope, GTK/VTE based. On a pure KDE desktop one wouldn't want to have to install the entire GTK/cairo/glib stack.
    On Arch Linux trying to pacman -Rnsc glib2 or pacman -Rnsc cairo results in removal of the whole KDE desktop

Default 256 colors

Nice to see it support 256 colors.

I believe terminology started as a way to showcase the power of EFL/Elementary. Even if i am not so font of the command line its a cool project. Gregkh endorsed it recently.

So which would you choose? Xterm? Rxvt? Rxvt-Unicode? Roxterm? Or one of the many other terminal emulators?
    Why not extend the question to other software? Why is there a text editor for any DE? Why do we not all just use Vim or Emacs? And do we really need more than one mediaplayer? Isn't pure MPlayer enough?