GStreamer Might Tackle DRM, Blu-Ray Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We even went down from 20th to 22nd this year:

Bereits im April diesen Jahres belegte ein Report von Akamai, dass sich Deutschland beim Thema Internetgeschwindigkeit nicht gerade mit Ruhm bekleckert. Bei den aktuellen Geschwindigkeitsmessungen landet Deutschland auf Platz 20.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
      So tell me how. I live near Stuttgart. There's no cable or fiber near my home. What should I do? I have friends that have 6kbits (unstable) and this only since this year (before it was 1-3kbits). When they switch ISP all they get is a cheaper connection that sometimes disconnects. Good for you, that your town has good internet connection but that is not something wide spread. I know more people with slow/problematic connections than with good speeds and low prices.

Also:
      http://www.statista.com/topics/1145/...speed-ranking/
      I live near Hanover, also without cable or fiber, but I can get DSL with 6Mbit/s, without traffic limit, for about 20? a month. I really doubt that you get down to 16KBit/s or even down to 1-3KBit/s, this would even be slow for an old dial-up modem. First DSL connections in Germany, years ago, had already 384KBit/s and even the old ISDN can get 128KBit/s (with channel bonding).

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        I live near Hanover, also without cable or fiber, but I can get DSL with 6Mbit/s, without traffic limit, for about 20? a month. I really doubt that you get down to 16KBit/s or even down to 1-3KBit/s, this would even be slow for an old dial-up modem. First DSL connections in Germany, years ago, had already 384KBit/s and even the old ISDN can get 128KBit/s (with channel bonding).
        sorry 16mbits and 1-3mbits. Which is very slow.

Comment

I'll never let DRM support on my systems, only DRM cracking

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          There certainly would be many Linux users interested in better Blu-ray support!

Not interested, I'm not using blu-rays. And bringing support for DRM in Gstreamer sounds like a very controversial topic. Many won't like that garbage to be present anywhere in the system.
          Why on earth should gstreamer support Blu-ray DRM when it can already be cracked? Gstreamer should be supporting the cracks, hosting them in repos in nations out of reach of the DCMA the way libdvdcss is. Nobody running a home computer need ever fear legal harassment for cracking DRM, I'll cite as the example that DVD playback in Linux is done with the "illegal" libdvdcss and nobody has been able to do shit about it.

I do not own a single Blu-Ray disk, nor a player for them, as I refuse to fund the development of DRM schemes. I would rather boycott Hollywood than use DRM'ed products. Hell, the other day I was able to download a very good noncommercial "fan movie" of near commerical quality based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels, with very good appearance similer to the quality of the hollywood movies and in 720p to boot. The movie "Born of Hope" is distributed only as a Youtube video and even carries a notice asking people not to pay anyone for copies as it is available free from the original poster!

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
            Please take a look at that and tell me how it wouldn't apply to a DRM scheme.
            I think you're confused.

That entire question you're linking to isn't about open source software that is distributed in source form, it's about some guy building a website, and wanting to use free hosting for version control, so this has barely anything to do with open source software that needs to be distributed in source form in a way that allows other people to build the software from source - not to mention examine, modify and redistribute the code.

All the responses to that guys question are ways to hide the API key so that no outsiders can get their hands on it. So if anyone wants to take that guys website source code and build their own version of the website so that it works in the intended way, they need to get their own API keys. To answer your question, that would not work in a DRM scheme, because the DRM authors would have to hand out keys separately to everyone who wants to compile the software from source...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              Why on earth should gstreamer support Blu-ray DRM when it can already be cracked? Gstreamer should be supporting the cracks, hosting them in repos in nations out of reach of the DCMA the way libdvdcss is. Nobody running a home computer need ever fear legal harassment for cracking DRM, I'll cite as the example that DVD playback in Linux is done with the "illegal" libdvdcss and nobody has been able to do shit about it.

I do not own a single Blu-Ray disk, nor a player for them, as I refuse to fund the development of DRM schemes. I would rather boycott Hollywood than use DRM'ed products. Hell, the other day I was able to download a very good noncommercial "fan movie" of near commerical quality based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels, with very good appearance similer to the quality of the hollywood movies and in 720p to boot. The movie "Born of Hope" is distributed only as a Youtube video and even carries a notice asking people not to pay anyone for copies as it is available free from the original poster!
              There's no saying that GStreamer should support Blu-ray DRM. It's just their trying to implement it so that there's a legal choice for some people.. With the recent improvement of makemkv as proxy, there could be a cracking way to provide Blu-ray playback in a form of ugly plugin for GStreamer.

Yes, I agree that "Born of Hope" set up a good example for DRM-free distribution. But not every producer seem to be convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                So if anyone wants to take that guys website source code and build their own version of the website so that it works in the intended way, they need to get their own API keys.

To answer your question, that would not work in a DRM scheme, because the DRM authors would have to hand out keys separately to everyone who wants to compile the software from source...
                Those two sentences look the same to me :$

Anyone who wants to use this website code needs his own API key.
                Anyone who wants to use this DRM code needs his own DRM key.

I'm absolutely no expert in DRM, but I think this is already the way it works: each bluray player manufacturer already needs a separate key. They all have different implementations, but they really could share an open source implementation of the DRM.

Now, could you, as a random end user, get a blu ray DRM key? Probably not (though you could read your own Blurays signed with your own keys , and some old keys are public).
                But similarly you can't get a microsoft signed secureboot key either, and yet Linux is open source and kernels signed with keys signed by microsoft are available, so open source and secret keeping are compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  May I ask why? When downloading a rip of it is faster?

If you already had free access to the disk via your local library, you can't really make the argument that downloading it instead is somehow wrong.
                  Shitty internet connection and the selection at the library for bluray is still small, even with partnering with 2-3 dozen other regional libraries allot of the movies I'd like to have good 1080p rips of aren't there. That and I get to control the rip quality myself.

Also, theres 5 redbox vending machines within walking distance of my house, you don't have to take the movie back to the same machine and you can reserve them online in advance.

Comment

Working...
                  X