Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To choose graphics card: NVIDIA or ATI/AMD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To choose graphics card: NVIDIA or ATI/AMD.

Hello ,I bought this motherboard Asus M4A78T-E and the graphic card is onboard (ATI Raedon HD3300 GPU).
    I'm thinking to buy a dedicated video card, my current video card is obsolete (Legacy) .. I mostly use Linux (Linux Mint 13) .. and so I like to ask what kind of card would best for Linux (NVIDIA or AMD/ATI)
    I have read the performance of AMD/ATI drivers in linux are very poor ...

The specs of my computer are:

-AMD PHENOM II X3 720.
    AM3 CPU SUPPORT.
    2.0 x 16-2xPCIe
    -Type of memory supported DDR3 1600 (by overclocking) / 1333/1066MHz.
    -Currently I have 8 GB of RAM DDR3 1333 memory.
    -POWER SUPPLY: FA600W AEROCOOL STRIKE-X MODULAR.

I would also like to know the steps that I have follow to install the new graphics , I do not know if these are correct :

1 - Uninstall proprietary drivers from ATI / AMD .
    2 - Turn off the computer , open the box and put the new graphics card.
    3 - Start the computer to enter the BIOS and disable the integrated graphics.
    4 - Guide me to additional drivers and install proprietary drivers....

For the new card I had thought of the following models , these are just a few examples I've found , ( considering my CPU, RAM .. etc):

NVIDIA

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5

Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost DirectCU ii OC 2GB GDDR5

ATI/AMD

Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5

I ask for advice on which video card is best for my computer and the steps you have to follow to install the new card ..

Best Regards.

I dont know how you usually install drivers, but normally you would uninstall the old ones first and switch to mesa before you add a new card. Well Kanotix Special edition detects everything on boot Kepler cards are directly supported by nouveau, so you see something. I recently got a GTX 650 Ti, definitely a nice card, the Boost would be even faster. If you go for the 660 then maybe a model with 3 GB vram in case you want to play BF4 on win at max settings Best forget AMD as soon as possible for games on Linux. All source engine games have got problems with fglrx, you have to reduce the settings compared to win and still mouselag can happen. Nvidia drivers are in general similar between the systems.

Comment

Thanks for the advice .. I think I'll buy Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti DirectCU ii Boost OC 2GB GDDR5 ..

Kano

I dont know how you usually install drivers, but normally you would uninstall the old ones first and switch to mesa before you add a new card.
      I installed the drivers directly from AMD's website..Then it would be something like this ... Right?

1-Uninstall proprietary drivers from ATI/AMD and reinstall mesa.

Code:
      sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 xserver-xorg-core
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      2-Turn off the computer , open the box and put the new graphics card.

3- .......

4- Upgrade the system: Going to additional drivers and install proprietary drivers from my new graphic card....

Thanks....

Comment

Working...
      X