Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallout From NVIDIA 173.08 Driver

Phoronix: Fallout From NVIDIA 173.08 Driver

Last week NVIDIA had released the 173.08 display driver for Linux and Solaris operating systems. This driver update had introduced support for new GeForce and Quadro GPUs, experimental X Server 1.5 support, NVIDIA mobile improvements, and a few bug-fixes. Those that have already upgraded to this 173.08 driver are having mixed-feelings over this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I only needed to be quoted once

Comment

The sad part is that on the last NVidia thread I got ran over by a bunch of rabid NVidia fanboys

The fact is that they are not dedicating an appropriate amount of resources to the Linux platform, with predictable results given the huge amount of hardware they have to support in their driver. Their only option to stop continuing insulting their customers and tap the community for help [I suppose I should be glad, at least they're not suing the Nouveau folks out of existence ...].

Comment

Does this 2D regression remind anyone of the recent release with the regression where there was a 100% fan speed bug? How do they not have items like these as blocker bugs for release?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not an nVidia fanboy or anything like that, but it seems a bit unfair to blast them like that for what is clearly labeled as a beta release.
          Phoronix' original report about this driver mentioned its being beta, but not very clearly and only at the end of the article. Maybe it should be pointed out again.

Comment

Originally posted by onety-three View Post
            I'm not an nVidia fanboy or anything like that, but it seems a bit unfair to blast them like that for what is clearly labeled as a beta release.
            Phoronix' original report about this driver mentioned its being beta, but not very clearly and only at the end of the article. Maybe it should be pointed out again.
            But many people reported the same performance problems with stable drivers too. I've got Geforce 6800 and it's performance in KDE4/GTK is very poor and it's no matter what driver I'm using - always the same

Comment

just a quick note THESE ARE BETA DRIVERS

that being said runs fine here, openbox desktop and also great for QuakeWars (GEntoo-64bit here)

Comment

This is one of the lots of reasons for NEVER using propietary drivers, aka binary blobs.

Thanks to AMD/ATI we will not suffer that, Nvidia can keep doing hardware for Sony's PS3 and Wintel (gaming) systems but now I prefer the AMD guys. I'm very impatient for having the RadeonHD drivers mature enough and support in sync with their latest available GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  This is one of the lots of reasons for NEVER using propietary drivers, aka binary blobs.

Thanks to AMD/ATI we will not suffer that, Nvidia can keep doing hardware for Sony's PS3 and Wintel (gaming) systems but now I prefer the AMD guys. I'm very impatient for having the RadeonHD drivers mature enough and support in sync with their latest available GPUs.
                  Then go write your own driver if you are "impatient" I mean ATi have release the info so you are free todo it

Do you have any idea how hard it is to write drivers?
                  Driver writers exist between the hardware and the OS's API, both shackle quite firmly what they can do (most obviously with hardware)

Sure ATi have release some specs, is it all/enough? who knows... why don't you find out

And to stress again THESE ARE BETA DRIVERS!!!! and well... BETA is for testing, sure issues have been found so what do you do?

1) bugreport the issues (not some petty ZOMG nvidia are crap, I'm going ATi BS!)
                  2) downgrade to the STABLE released drivers.

is it really that hard?
                  Yes binary blobs have issues from some, but nvidia's blobs are alot better then ATi's and have been for a VERY long time

is there anything from the these opened specs for ATi's top of the range cards? and Open-source drivers with full 3D acceleration?

I thought not

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    just a quick note THESE ARE BETA DRIVERS

that being said runs fine here, openbox desktop and also great for QuakeWars (GEntoo-64bit here)
                    Just a quick note: we're talking about 2D performance and in many cases it doesn't matter that these are beta or stable drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X