Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Func KB-460 Gaming Keyboard

Phoronix: Func KB-460 Gaming Keyboard

While we don't generally review keyboards and other gaming peripherals at Phoronix, occasionally such a product will come along that is worth checking out in close detail. One of these products is the Func KB-460, a new high-end gaming keyboard. The Func KB-460 looks great, but will it work on Linux and be worth the nearly $120 USD price tag?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Couple of questions,

What constitutes a USB "pass through" port? Does it provide only power for charging devices? Or is it a USB hub? If it's a hub, which chipset does it use, and how is it recognized by the OS? How about `lsusb` output? Does it do USB 2.0 or only USB 1.1? 1.1 is obviously more than enough for the keyboard itself, but is useless for data transfer via the other two ports.

That's a nice looking braided jacket on the cord. How long is the cord? I assume there's a USB plug at the other end of it? If so, does it include a USB-PS2 adapter? If not, does Func offer this keyboard as a PS2 model? Folks with KVM switches need to know this.

Are the key caps removable? If so, does Func offer alternate caps for those who don't care for the Microsoft logo keys? Are the caps interchangeable with standard IBM key caps or are they proprietary to Func?

The legs on the bottom, are they simple "open or closed" legs? Or do they provide multiple tiers of adjustment?

Where is this product made? China?

Comment

For those interested in a bit different keyboards:

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Couple of questions,

What constitutes a USB "pass through" port? Does it provide only power for charging devices? Or is it a USB hub? If it's a hub, which chipset does it use, and how is it recognized by the OS? How about `lsusb` output? Does it do USB 2.0 or only USB 1.1? 1.1 is obviously more than enough for the keyboard itself, but is useless for data transfer via the other two ports.
        It's probably just a fancy term for "USB 1.1 hub". As with most hubs, you can reliably get USB 1.1 speeds through a 2.0 port. I have yet to see a USB keyboard with "pass through" ports that don't act as a hub. You'll probably get close to full speed out of it if you plugged in a flash drive. I also wouldn't worry about it not working in linux, if that's why you're concerned about the chipset.

That's a nice looking braided jacket on the cord. How long is the cord? I assume there's a USB plug at the other end of it? If so, does it include a USB-PS2 adapter? If not, does Func offer this keyboard as a PS2 model? Folks with KVM switches need to know this.
        I'm pretty sure this is USB at the other end, and I wouldn't keep my hopes up of it being PS/2 compatible if my comment about the hub is true.

Are the key caps removable? If so, does Func offer alternate caps for those who don't care for the Microsoft logo keys? Are the caps interchangeable with standard IBM key caps or are they proprietary to Func?
        The keys are removable but I doubt they have a replacement to the Windows key. I'm not sure if they're proprietary or not.

The legs on the bottom, are they simple "open or closed" legs? Or do they provide multiple tiers of adjustment?
        Based on the image, it looks like it's the simple "open/close" type.

Where is this product made? China?
        Does it matter if it is built well?

Comment

I don't understand why companies keep putting the m$ logos on their keyboards. Why not something general or their own logos instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            I don't understand why companies keep putting the m$ logos on their keyboards. Why not something general or their own logos instead?
            There are extra keys with penguins on them that you can buy. Win logo will suit 95% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
              For those interested in a bit different keyboards:
              The ergodox and its variation (third link) seem cool. Personally I?m using a TypeMatrix.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Does it matter if it is built well?
                The issue isn't the build quality. For those of us who choose not to fund communism, the country of origin label is relevant information.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Because you need to have the Windows logo to get Windows logo certification. Though since 2007 the logo must be in a lowered circle, and in this case it's still using the Windows XP logo... Also, MS never updated the specification to match the Windows 8 logo, their Windows logo certification page still lists the Windows Vista logo as the requirement.

Comment

Cherry MX Red
                    Pfff, blue ones are way better for typing. And you can get them in a Cherry MX 3000 keyboard which costs not even 60€ and is waaay sturdy.

Comment

Working...
                    X