Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: NVIDIA Legacy Driver Updated For X.Org Server 1.15

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,628

    Default NVIDIA Legacy Driver Updated For X.Org Server 1.15

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Legacy Driver Updated For X.Org Server 1.15

    Making some AMD Catalyst Legacy users jealous is that NVIDIA's still maintaining their old legacy Linux binary driver branches. NVIDIA this morning has updated their legacy Linux driver for supporting the new X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzNjY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Very nice. The Geforce 5 FX is now 10 years old and still supported. I even have one lying around somewhere.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Nvidia will support GPU cards for more than 20 Years rather than going after open source drivers They'de do anything they can (all their best) to avoid being forced to go the open way

    Jokes aside, they are really being honest in releasing such update on legacy driver. Good!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    What is the oldest card that is supported by this driver?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    What is the oldest card that is supported by this driver?
    The GeForce FX 5800 being that it was the first FX card available.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I think legacy Catalyst drivers would work comparably or worse to open source ones if they were maintained. Stability and feature wise for sure. Performance-wise open source drivers are also pretty close to blobs on old hardware. So no big deal for me. Also the pre-HD 5000 cards weren't meant for OpenCL, so lack of open-source OpenCL driver is not a problem either. Casual users are perfectly fine with open-source drivers on legacy Radeon hardware.

    OTOH open-source drivers for nVidia cards aren't very good and nVidia users really benefit from the binary blob maintained for all generations of GPUs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Nvidia will support GPU cards for more than 20 Years rather than going after open source drivers They'de do anything they can (all their best) to avoid being forced to go the open way

    Jokes aside, they are really being honest in releasing such update on legacy driver. Good!
    A while back I was personally hit when nvidia didn't support their own Geforce4 Series anymore on current drivers, last one working was 96.xx which was flawed. Using compiz for example always resulted in black windows at normal usage, which was unusable. Geforce 4 debuted in 2002 and it was around 2007 when I finally ditched my notebook because of bad nvidia support. I heavily prefer ati these days, whatever might happen, my card will run. I don't need it to be a killer, i just want it to work decent, and that's what we get

    Back to the facts: In the end, since Geforce FX is the first current supported card, and I think it debuted in 2003, we have 10 years, not 20

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    This driver was expected, but seems like that will be end of the road

    Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 173.14.* releases through the end of 2013.
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    A while back I was personally hit when nvidia didn't support their own Geforce4 Series anymore on current drivers, last one working was 96.xx which was flawed. Using compiz for example always resulted in black windows at normal usage, which was unusable. Geforce 4 debuted in 2002 and it was around 2007 when I finally ditched my notebook because of bad nvidia support. I heavily prefer ati these days, whatever might happen, my card will run. I don't need it to be a killer, i just want it to work decent, and that's what we get

    Back to the facts: In the end, since Geforce FX is the first current supported card, and I think it debuted in 2003, we have 10 years, not 20
    10 years in IT is still a millenium.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The GeForce FX 5800 being that it was the first FX card available.
    But it doesn't say anywhere in the article about FX cards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •