Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux Gaming: What You Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    A 3rd PLL would be interesting, I wonder where the limitation that all 3 monitors have to be the same now comes from. Also this may imply that those OEMs which simply reused the 7800/7900 boards do not support the 3rd monitor.
    The PLLs are part of the chip itself; so it's not the board, but the chip that's on it that matters. If the chip only has 2 non-DP PLLs, it can only support two independent non-DP display clocks. If all the displays are the same, they use identical display clocks so they can share a PLL.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      The PLLs are part of the chip itself; so it's not the board, but the chip that's on it that matters.
      From what I remember from the launch presentations, the 3 DVI/HDMI monitor support applies to all R9 series cards. Given that the other R9 series products have only new boards but still use the same SI chips, this would mean that Catalyst does not enforce a maximum of 2 non-DP monitors on Windows (which was my original question).

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
        Great article Michael.

On the subject, have you seen anyone using 4 monitors? I think it is not practical, you have to have a central monitor while the rest to be auxiliary.
        Yeah, 4 is the worst possible layout followed by 6 and 2.

3x1landscape and 5x1 portrait are the best multi monitor scenarios. 5x1portrait with 24-30" screens in a wraparound config uses almost all of your field of vision, makes many games much easier since it becomes much harder to sneak up on your char.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
          Idk, for me (and people I know) 3 is the norm, either in longways (5760 x 1080) or vertical (3240 x 1920). I couldn't stand having a bezel in the middle of my view :/ Terrible for FPS's

Mind you, any gaming I do is on Windows, so not had any issues with Eyefinity and games there.
          Take the screen apart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyQoFPO8RyA

Comment

Surprised NVIDIA can run 4 screens

I was surprised to learn that NVIDIA can now run more that 2 displays on the same X server.

In the past it required using more than one X server and Xinerama but the desktop performance was terrible.

This is why I've been using Radeon HD 5670 for the last 3 years at work to run 3 identical displays, and it works well with both open-source and Catalyst drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by max0x7ba View Post
              I was surprised to learn that NVIDIA can now run more that 2 displays on the same X server.
              It's been a feature ever since the Kepler cards were released (the TwinView name is outdated).

Comment

Can someone explain how to get the Nvidia proprietary setup running fullscreen games as shown, without having to go in and enable Xinerama, and then destroy the desktop experience??
                Did you have to go in and enable Xinerama in the config for this result? TwinView options that are still in documentation dont seem to exist anymore, Mosaic option in nvidia-settings is only for multiple gpu, I cant seem to find anything to do with the xrandr command line utility to get where I'm trying to go (5760x1080 fullscreen).. and I can't find a single program/game that can be made aware of the situation..

How was this done without editing xorg.conf?? Please someone out there enlighten me lol

Comment

Working...
                X