AMD780G with open drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD780G with open drivers?

Need to install Linux (Kubuntu 7.10 it's gonna be as it looks, Xorg 7.2) on a machine with an AMD 780G chipset, upgrading or adding a video card is not an option.
    All I need is accelerated 2D. Xv not needed, 3D not needed, all it needs to do is display OOo, a browser, TBird, Latex. That's it.

Question: can do with 7.2 as shipped with Kub 7.10, if not: is acc. 2D supported with latest git, and if so: how do I tinker it into Kubuntu?

(I'm familiar with builing source debs but haven't created a deb from scratch, without the debian dir and such.
    Last attempt "copy git src into old deb src" resulted in dpkg-buildpackage throwing an error at a missing Makefile.in and I just couldn't dig up one.)

The RS780 is supported by fglrx (with acceleration) and by radeon (shadowfb only ATM). radeonhd should have the same level of support as radeon very soon.

Comment

it works works works! but real question is HOW? I have ECS A780GM-A and i installed hardy beta. You have this board game scores but i cant install anything about graphic card. Restricted Driver Manager is not exist. I try ATI's driver (yeah 50MB). The Result is null. Can't i see how its install or doesnt it write anywhere? i dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by mamcak View Post
        it works works works! but real question is HOW? I have ECS A780GM-A and i installed hardy beta. You have this board game scores but i cant install anything about graphic card. Restricted Driver Manager is not exist. I try ATI's driver (yeah 50MB). The Result is null. Can't i see how its install or doesnt it write anywhere? i dont know.
        It's either some version of radeon or vesa it sounds like.

Comment

Yea, i did it The answer is...

Have a nice days!

Comment

Originally posted by DexterF View Post
            (I'm familiar with builing source debs but haven't created a deb from scratch, without the debian dir and such.
            Tormod Volden is packaging recent git checkouts of radeon and radeonhd. Building these packages is rather tricky so I leave it to the pros.

See:

Packages for those who think development versions, experimental and unstable are for old ladies. We want our crack straight from upstream git! Well, straight, we want it built and packaged so we don't need to know what we're doing, except that we will break our X and put our computers on fire. The main "xorg-edgers" repository might have all kind of updated libraries and stuff, and drivers built here might not work other places. Do not pick single packages from this archive, you will probabl...

I was able to get the radeon driver to sort-of work but I couldn't get it to do xv or textured video which I need for my mythtv setup. I'm not sure if that was an actual driver problem or just my own foolishness.

There were other problems like no virtual terminals and occasional lock ups of the computer. I didn't bother the developers with bug reports because I was probably installing something wrong. (setting my xorg.conf wrong or I needed to install the mesa or libdrm?)

I gave up on this about three weeks ago. These drivers are improving rapidly so you might have better luck.

For now fglrx is a much simpler solution even though it has some issues. (occasional application crashes, vsync doesn't work so video tears, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by msebast View Post
              I was able to get the radeon driver to sort-of work but I couldn't get it to do xv or textured video which I need for my mythtv setup. I'm not sure if that was an actual driver problem or just my own foolishness.
              textured video and acceleration are not yet supported on r6xx cards like the RS780.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                textured video and acceleration are not yet supported on r6xx cards like the RS780.
                Ah, my own foolishness then. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X