Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

Phoronix: Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

Valve pushed out a Steam client update for all platforms this week and includes a number of Linux improvements and more work on their Big Picture mode ahead of the public SteamOS debut next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.
      Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!
        Awesome! I read some guides that said the controller might have to be configured correctly because the game was set-up with XBox controllers. So that's why I didn't have to do that!

Comment

Hmm. Here it's decided that my HDD accelerometer is a joystick.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            A few devices abuse the HID joystick standard, including accelerometers and UPS battery monitors

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
              did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?

Comment

So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                  So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.
                  Seems to be some silly bug on wine. Ahh well fixed on git, 14kB/sec I tough I have "broadband".

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?
                    I'm interested in this too. It does, to a degree, make sense why they'd call it a joystick.

Comment

Working...
                    X