Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

Default Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

Phoronix: Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

Valve pushed out a Steam client update for all platforms this week and includes a number of Linux improvements and more work on their Big Picture mode ahead of the public SteamOS debut next month...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzNDQ

Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.
    Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!
    Awesome! I read some guides that said the controller might have to be configured correctly because the game was set-up with XBox controllers. So that's why I didn't have to do that!

Hmm. Here it's decided that my HDD accelerometer is a joystick.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    A few devices abuse the HID joystick standard, including accelerometers and UPS battery monitors

Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?

So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.

Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.
    Seems to be some silly bug on wine. Ahh well fixed on git, 14kB/sec I tough I have "broadband".

Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?
    I'm interested in this too. It does, to a degree, make sense why they'd call it a joystick.