Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,420

    Default Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

    Phoronix: Steam Client Update Sends Down Lots Of Changes

    Valve pushed out a Steam client update for all platforms this week and includes a number of Linux improvements and more work on their Big Picture mode ahead of the public SteamOS debut next month...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzNDQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Game controller hotplugging is great, I started using my PS3 controller when playing the excellent Super Meat Boy (bought in a Humble Indie Bundle), and it worked out-of-the-box on Gentoo! I was amazed. The only thing I had to make sure of doing was starting the controller _before_ I started Big Picture Mode.
    Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

    Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Huge props go to SDL for this. SDL2 has a new game-controller API that integrates with Big Picture mode that crowd-sources controller configuration.

    Whenever someone configures an unknown controller for Big Picture, this configuration gets saved in Steam. The next player who plugs in such a controller automatically gets an optimized configuration - and this is why Super Meat Boy worked perfectly out of the box with your PS3 controller!
    Awesome! I read some guides that said the controller might have to be configured correctly because the game was set-up with XBox controllers. So that's why I didn't have to do that!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Hmm. Here it's decided that my HDD accelerometer is a joystick.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    Hmm. Here it's decided that my HDD accelerometer is a joystick.
    A few devices abuse the HID joystick standard, including accelerometers and UPS battery monitors

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLHerne View Post
    Hmm. Here it's decided that my HDD accelerometer is a joystick.
    did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    260

    Default

    So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    So that's the reason why steam suddenly stopped working under wine.
    Seems to be some silly bug on wine. Ahh well fixed on git, 14kB/sec I tough I have "broadband".

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detructor View Post
    did ...did you test if it is recognized correctly? I mean...can you control a game by moving it?
    I'm interested in this too. It does, to a degree, make sense why they'd call it a joystick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •