Expected 8.4 features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nochka85 View Post
    Xv ? Perfect ??? .... it still flashing when I'm not in full screen with my 9800XT ! .... Did I miss a solution ?
    Mine too (X1600) I hope on 8.5!

Comment

Xv ? Perfect ??? .... it still flashing when I'm not in full screen with my 9800XT ! .... Did I miss a solution ?
      Flashing?

Are you using compiz?

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
        Flashing?

Are you using compiz?
        Yes ... and I know that with metacity there's no problem .... BUT I really hope that it will be fixed in the 8.5 (and because compiz is automaticaly active by default in Ubuntu .... so lot of ATI users have the same problem)

Comment

Yes ... and I know that with metacity there's no problem .... BUT I really hope that it will be fixed in the 8.5 (and because compiz is automaticaly active by default in Ubuntu .... so lot of ATI users have the same problem)
          Compiz certainly wasn't automatically active on mine... I'm not sure why you experienced that.

The ATI developers are focusing on robust operation under normal conditions first, i.e. non-compiz. The flickering you're experiencing is a side-effect of the way that compiz and xorg currently work, it has nothing to do with the ATI driver. The "indirect direct rendering" workaround is a hack of sorts to address the (current) fundamental shortcomings of the compiz/xorg situation.

Comment

Originally posted by heruan View Post
            Yes, I was wrong, sorry.

Fundamentally they still seem to be 8.3, but actually the version of Ubuntu's Catalyst suite is 8.47.3 (whilst original ATI's 8.3 suite was 8.47.1). You can see it from Catalyst Control Center.

Anyway, sorry, but because 8.4 still sucked, I decided that I just feel fine enough with the drivers found on Ubuntu's repos, for now, and I don't remember how I managed to fix the problem of diverts.

But if I can tell you: just wait a few days for 8.5 to come out.
            (Because I believe that ATI will fix ALL THE PROBLEMS and they'll be without any doubt THE BEST DRIVER SUITE EVER RELEASED, yes yes, I believe...)

Comment

Originally posted by heruan View Post
              Mine too (X1600) I hope on 8.5!
              Can you give more details?
              I have an X1600, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Hardy Heron and Catalyst 8.3 drivers suite (version 8.47.3: the ones that shipped with Hardy):

they work much better in Hardy than they did in Gutsy: framerate for 3D apps is much higher and video playback no longer flashes in Hardy (but OpenGL applications still do). Aside from this, Compiz always worked well and now it does better than ever.

I tried 8.4 when I had just upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy, but they behaved exactly the same as 8.3, so I rolled back.

Comment

Working...
              X