Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.0 Release Brings OpenGL 3.3

Phoronix: Mesa 10.0 Release Candidate Brings OpenGL 3.3

While it's coming late, Mesa 10.0 (formerly known as Mesa 9.3) was released in the early hours of Sunday morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Release Candidate? Is it a "copy & paste typo" in the announcement? Mesa3D 10.0-rc1 came out in mid november.

But I am glad it is here. My favorite emulators (higan and dolphin) depending on OpenGL 3.2/3.3.

Comment

Great Job

Thank for the hard work Mesa Devs.
      It's definately worth upgrading. Especially that the Dota 2 lockup issues on Sandybridge are fixed.
      Great job

Comment

Hm, somehow the extracted release archive fails when running "make" and complains that aclocal and automake 1.11 is missing...
        Anyway, compiling the 10.0 final tag runs fine here.

Comment

It's pretty exciting to know that OGL 4.x is all that's left for development, and it's even nicer to know that many parts throughout 4.x have already been completed. It shouldn't take too much longer for FOSS linux graphics to be complete in a feature perspective. What really excites me about that is once radeon and nouveau are all caught up with openGL functions, all that's left is optimizations and hardware-specific features. This means that all future releases of GPUs will come out with support much quicker, and the performance gap between closed source drivers will slim into negligence. The intel drivers are pretty much at that point already.

I'm thinking maybe 2 years from now, closed source drivers will be obsolete.

Comment

This would be great.
            At least all the source engine games will finnaly work great on the AMD and Intel GPU's.

BTW, how do i update the llvmpipe?
            I need it for OGL3.0 support on my HD 7850

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              It's pretty exciting to know that OGL 4.x is all that's left for development, and it's even nicer to know that many parts throughout 4.x have already been completed. It shouldn't take too much longer for FOSS linux graphics to be complete in a feature perspective. What really excites me about that is once radeon and nouveau are all caught up with openGL functions, all that's left is optimizations and hardware-specific features. This means that all future releases of GPUs will come out with support much quicker, and the performance gap between closed source drivers will slim into negligence. The intel drivers are pretty much at that point already.

I'm thinking maybe 2 years from now, closed source drivers will be obsolete.
              To make closed driver obsolete we will firstly need re-clocking support. I think nouveau will alway stay behind as it don't get help or documentation from the manifacturer

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                To make closed driver obsolete we will firstly need re-clocking support. I think nouveau will alway stay behind as it don't get help or documentation from the manifacturer
                Nouveau gets help from NVIDIA since a few weeks. There is GPU Core reclocking in Linux 3.13 for Fermi/Kepler GPUs (no VRAM reclocking though, so the performance boost is small).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  Nouveau gets help from NVIDIA since a few weeks.
                  Source?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Source?
                    He means the documentation.
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X