No announcement yet.

AMD APU On Linux: Gallium3D Can Be 80%+ As Fast As Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty interesting results overall. Also notice the latency graphs ? quite often Catalyst has huge stutter spikes, while OSS drivers provide a much smoother experience. Very nice.

Comment

linus finger to catalyst and big hug for community devs

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
        I can't help but wonder if TF2 was actually rendered properly. The numbers alone look a lot like the GPU is not really doing what it's supposed to.
        TF2 is not that difficult a game to render. The numbers for the OSS driver look correct to me, with fglrx being way too slow.

I think that's the gl_finish bug showing - I think Valve forced a workaround for older fglrx that causes it to be slow on newer fglrx drivers, or something like that.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 30 November 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I have Mint 16 with 3.12.1 and oibaf drivers installed with DPM enabled for my AMD laptop. Would 3.12 R2 give a performance boost or na?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            I'm fairly certain the answer to both of those questions (especially the second one) would be "Intel" :P
            I really really wish AMD would just pick a side already. Either go the Nvidia route or the Intel route, just don't half-ass both your Open Source and Closed Source drivers :/
            I would like you to show us where Intel HD chipsets outperform AMD APU's with OpenCL, since that's a large deciding factor for many.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              I like the APU graphics test but i would rather see an "APU"-battle intel vs amd.
              What is the best APU for linux?
              What is the best open source APU for linux?
              If you are interested in graphics performance than AMD wins, regardless of the state of Intel drivers, both on AMD's closed and open drivers. Power saving and general desktop performance is a different story.

Comment

If you want gaming quality APU. Go amd.
                If you are concerned about battery life and don't want to play games, go Intel.

Intel's graphics hardware is rather weak compared to AMD/NVIDIA. They do get good battery life though.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  If you want gaming quality APU. Go amd.
                  If you are concerned about battery life and don't want to play games, go Intel.

Intel's graphics hardware is rather weak compared to AMD/NVIDIA.
                  They do get good battery life though.
                  Not if you are looking at the Iris Pro.

And when the next-generation Iris Pro comes out along with Broadwell, expect to see that gap shrink even more, or even tip in Intel's favor.

off-topic: How the heck did intel suddenly catch up so quickly in the graphics department still remains a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Not if you are looking at the Iris Pro.

And when the next-generation Iris Pro comes out along with Broadwell, expect to see that gap shrink even more, or even tip in Intel's favor.

off-topic: How the heck did intel suddenly catch up so quickly in the graphics department still remains a mystery.
                    very expensive eDram

Comment

Kernel 3.13 / DPM apparently doesn't work with the AMD A8-6600K. If DPM is enabled, the system will reboot shortly after the display is initiated.

Comment

Working...
                      X