Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD APU On Linux: Gallium3D Can Be 80%+ As Fast As Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD APU On Linux: Gallium3D Can Be 80%+ As Fast As Catalyst

After running earlier this week a 21-way graphics card comparison with Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA GPUs, there were requests by some Phoronix readers to see some new APU performance numbers. For ending out November, here's new Catalyst vs. Gallium3D driver benchmarks on Ubuntu Linux for the AMD A10-6800K with its Radeon HD 8670D graphics. The results with the latest Linux kernel and Mesa are very positive towards the open-source AMD driver where in some tests the performance can nearly match Catalyst! For at least one Source Engine game, the open-source driver can now even run significantly faster than the binary driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't help but wonder if TF2 was actually rendered properly. The numbers alone look a lot like the GPU is not really doing what it's supposed to.

Comment

I like the APU graphics test but i would rather see an "APU"-battle intel vs amd.
      What is the best APU for linux?
      What is the best open source APU for linux?

Comment

Nice article, thanks !

... and before anyone asking about llvm 3.4 (mesa c4cf48 used in the test was compiled with 3.3), see the discussion here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-Upgrades-Easy

Comment

Great news, especially considering I just upgraded my grandfather's old Pentium IV machine to an AMD A8-6600K with 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Radeon RAM for $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
            I can't help but wonder if TF2 was actually rendered properly. The numbers alone look a lot like the GPU is not really doing what it's supposed to.
            It looked fine when eyeing it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
              I like the APU graphics test but i would rather see an "APU"-battle intel vs amd.
              I don't have many APUs (2 I think...) due to AMD not sending out hardware lately.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I'm fairly certain the answer to both of those questions (especially the second one) would be "Intel" :P
                I really really wish AMD would just pick a side already. Either go the Nvidia route or the Intel route, just don't half-ass both your Open Source and Closed Source drivers :/

Comment

a beer was knocked over on the table and some Weihenstephaner hit the MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 motherboard
                  THIS IS IT!!! To get ultimate performance, simply provide the motherboard with the elixer, which will then distribute the holy water to all of the system's components!

(Way to go devs, your work is appreciated!)

Comment

Catalyst S-U-C-K

Comment

Working...
                    X