Thread: Apple Thunderbolt Linux Hot-Plugging Support

Default Apple Thunderbolt Linux Hot-Plugging Support

Phoronix: Apple Thunderbolt Linux Hot-Plugging Support

Andreas Noever has published a set of twelve Linux kernel patches that add a driver for the Intel "Cactus Ridge" Thunderbolt controller and ultimately allows for Thunderbolt hot-plugging support on Apple hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzMTY

Default Thunderbolt sucks

Thunderbolt sucks, it is Apple's and Intel's own proprietary connector they're pushing because they don't want technology to be open.
    They think what is wrong with USB is that it is an open standard and that they don't own it.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Thunderbolt sucks, it is Apple's and Intel's own proprietary connector they're pushing because they don't want technology to be open.
    They think what is wrong with USB is that it is an open standard and that they don't own it.
    AFAIK USB is not royalty-free. You still have to register with the consortium to get your device ID. As is the case in this related article which is also my source (pending it is reliable).

http://hackaday.com/2013/10/22/usb-i...o-open-source/

Default Good news over all

Who'd in right mind buy Apple product anyway?
    Hardware may be good, but god damn, so expensive and so bad with Linux support.

Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    Who'd in right mind buy Apple product anyway?
    Hardware may be good, but god damn, so expensive and so bad with Linux support.
    OS X. Sorry bud, but anyone with a brain working in LLVM/Clang and XCode, not to mention writing for a living and/or wants to make a living writing iOS apps.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Sorry, but Intel is the dictator on this one. Otherwise, TB would be as prevalent as Firewire 1394 became on all clone motherboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    OS X. Sorry bud, but anyone with a brain working in LLVM/Clang and XCode, not to mention writing for a living and/or wants to make a living writing iOS apps.
    No offense, but this place is dedicated to Linux really...
    I mean, OSX is still better than Doze, but still, we discuss Linux here. If you need OSX for something that Linux can't yet do - why bother reading this stuff? You gonna stick to your guns. It's not like you gonna change over night and become Linux adopter. And even then, i doubt you'd bought Mac. Like i said, nice piece of hardware, but barely supported.

Though Designer folks, i feel for you. I indirectly work for major corporation who does your software, and I still can't see their product on Linux any time soon.