No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 173.08 Linux Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Forge : I think you have made a point that is quite true and frustrating to me and possibly others. Its pretty discomforting that linux kernel and xorg, which form the crux, are so volatile. Things just keep breaking and everyone is tired of fixing. Situation is so bad that straight forward upgrades that should be blind, are to be looked with suspicion, especially of regressions! The linux kernel has become notorious of making such one liner changes (syntax, # of arguments ...) that break every third party driver. (And I know that the maintainer of at least one kernel patchset - beyond / nitro sources had discontinued for this very reason.)

Nvidia fixes things reasonably quickly. VMWare is perennially broken. They release a major beta - vmware 6.5, that supports directx9, and it doesn't run on 2.6.24 . Wonder how are people supposed to beta use it .

And god bless xorg. Let them come up with gallium, dri2, exa and may be platinum and dri10 and exxxa, and hopefully there is at least one vintage graphics card (matrox/3dfx?) old that functions reasonably .

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
      And god bless xorg. Let them come up with gallium, dri2, exa and may be platinum and dri10 and exxxa, and hopefully there is at least one vintage graphics card (matrox/3dfx?) old that functions reasonably .

You are goddamn right! My 3dfx Voodoo 5500 PCI runs around in circles around my 8800 GT, despite bus that is 30 times slower, one-eighth of onboard memory that is 11 times slower, one-fifty-fourth pixel fillrate, tech process that is four times the current manufacturing standard, and so on. Why? - It can actually run Compiz... The 8800 GT will not work with any drivers I have tried so far

Comment

Very strange. I've got friends who're on an 8800gt and it works out of the box for them. My 8600gt worked out of the box too, compiz and opengl. :/

Comment

Well Zero Ballistics runs extra fast with my 8800 GTS - no problem with that driver at all...

Comment

3d seems to be fast for 8800 on the stable driver, but 2d is really an entirely different story..

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
              So now we see.

Kernel developers rip out init_mm(), claiming it's just plain old, bad and no one in-kernel uses it.

Nvidia pitches a hissy fit.

VMware breaks, fix ETA who knows.

Kernel developers trample on.

Nvidia releases updated, fixed driver, with init_mm() stuff all removed. 2D gets noticably slower.

Wonder what was using init_mm(), eh?
              you can not expect the kernel people to simply waste their time maintaining old code which they have no benefit from maintaining. nvidia and vmware can simply release their driver and do stuff to have it merged, and the problems for them will disappear, as nothing thats used intree will be removed like that, without suitable modifications to the driver, to use the newer api.

it would be like expecting cars to ALWAYS be compatible to older parts, so that third party manufacturers of wheels, brakes, engine parts etc, would not need to update their shit.. Well tough luck, its nvidia and vmware thats not a team player, so dont try to put the kernel developers in a bad light.

Comment

yep, nvidia driver kills 2d big time. the only good thing about it is that it quietens the fan on the gpu. the rest of it is shite. nv driver has better 2d :@:@

and it doesn't load on boot with hardy
                Last edited by Moustacha; 27 April 2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                  yep, nvidia driver kills 2d big time. the only good thing about it is that it quietens the fan on the gpu. the rest of it is shite. nv driver has better 2d :@:@

and it doesn't load on boot with hardy
                  Yeah, Nvidia 2D sux clearly. We need to do some serious bench (nvidia / vs nv) and post them on the Phoronix main page. I'm sure nvidia will that.

Comment

Working...
                  X