No announcement yet.

Basic Graphics card for linux, light gaming, Dual Monitor. Not happy with AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Graphics card for linux, light gaming, Dual Monitor. Not happy with AMD

I am looking for a new graphics card for my linux machine. I have had a few different AMD cards (currently Radeon HD 7660D on board) and have never been very happy with how well the AMD cards have worked on Linux. Specifically the dual monitior support always seems a little wonky and I have a fair amount of compatibility issues with software.

My usage is really light gaming. My son plays Minecraft and we both play some of the Steam linux offerings such as Poral. I do some 3D modeling but nothing too crazy. I don't need high performance so much as I am looking better operability. I assume that most of the AMD issues are driver related (have tried the open source, proprietary and Catylist) and nothing seems to work very well. After being disappointed in a few AMD cards and doing some research it looks as though it may be time to look at NVIDIA offerings. I had read the recent GT610 review on this site and thoght that it might be a low risk option to get my feet wet with NVIDIA products but don't want to be disappointed due to it being a low end card.

I am certainly not looking to start a AMD/NVIDIA war. I am just hoping that I can get some helpful input on a good NVIDIA card to try out for my type of usage. Please let me know if I can answer additional questions to help narrow down a choice that will be good for my needs.

Thanks!

I had a GTX 650 awhile back and it did decently in games with the proprietary nvidia drivers. If the 100 dollar price is too high than the 630/640 might be right for you, although imo the extra money does translate into much better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      I had a GTX 650 awhile back and it did decently in games with the proprietary nvidia drivers. If the 100 dollar price is too high than the 630/640 might be right for you, although imo the extra money does translate into much better performance.
      Where does the OP live? My suggestion is to find the 'best' Nvidia card that can be afforded but buy used. Nvidia is supposedly reducing the price on more of their upscale new cards so I suspect a lot of gamers will be upgrading to take advantange. Most of the time, that means they'll be selling their current card. The GTX 650Ti seems like the best 'deal', imho, for a fairly cheap card that can do decent gaming (from what I read and was told). I think you need the 7xx series if you're wanting super high frame rates with the more demanding games, though? I'm not a gamer but I talk to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Where does the OP live? My suggestion is to find the 'best' Nvidia card that can be afforded but buy used. Nvidia is supposedly reducing the price on more of their upscale new cards so I suspect a lot of gamers will be upgrading to take advantange. Most of the time, that means they'll be selling their current card. The GTX 650Ti seems like the best 'deal', imho, for a fairly cheap card that can do decent gaming (from what I read and was told). I think you need the 7xx series if you're wanting super high frame rates with the more demanding games, though? I'm not a gamer but I talk to some.
        Very true. However the OP stated that he doesn't require bleeding edge hardware. I believe the cheapest 7xx series card out right now is the 760 which is much more expensive than a 650 Ti at current prices.

Comment

Working...
        X