Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamOS is locked down more than we hoped + Valve will not produce own SteamMachines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS is locked down more than we hoped + Valve will not produce own SteamMachines

I just found this on twitter: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/v...=rss_truncated ( https://twitter.com/linuxfoundation/...408320/photo/1 ).

Not sure how from that article you would conclude that the system is locked down. It says absolutely nothing of the sort. As far as Valve not creating their own hardware, that has been known for a while. It's no secret that they were going to let 3rd parties create SteamMachines.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Not sure how from that article you would conclude that the system is locked down. It says absolutely nothing of the sort.
      "Though we aren't clear on the RAM" - not even a way to start a console and type in "free"
      "SteamOS looks and acts like Big Picture Mode, except it's the basis for the entire hardware system"
      "the only interactive layer is all Steam."
      "SteamOS is not the replacement for Windows 8 you've been waiting for."
      "I asked how I'd view such shots from within SteamOS -- the answer is that there's no real way to do so, as there's no file browsing system or image viewing application."

As far as Valve not creating their own hardware, that has been known for a while. It's no secret that they were going to let 3rd parties create SteamMachines.
      I knew that they wanted others to produce SteamMachines, too, but that article was the first time I heard they don't want to produce their own. Must have missed that announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        "Though we aren't clear on the RAM" - not even a way to start a console and type in "free"
        "SteamOS looks and acts like Big Picture Mode, except it's the basis for the entire hardware system"
        "the only interactive layer is all Steam."
        "SteamOS is not the replacement for Windows 8 you've been waiting for."
        "I asked how I'd view such shots from within SteamOS -- the answer is that there's no real way to do so, as there's no file browsing system or image viewing application."
        I still don't see how you think that is locked down. It merely doesn't have a traditional desktop. It defaults the steam big screen display as what shows up. What functions Steam Big Screen in is up to valve. It does not in any way signify that you cannot install your own desktop of choice, does not have open root access, does not have sshd, etc. Just what is shown by default. That too was expected. I have my XBMC systems booting straight to the XBMC UI as well, it doesn't mean the system is locked down.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I still don't see how you think that is locked down. It merely doesn't have a traditional desktop. It defaults the steam big screen display as what shows up. What functions Steam Big Screen in is up to valve. It does not in any way signify that you cannot install your own desktop of choice, does not have open root access, does not have sshd, etc. Just what is shown by default. That too was expected. I have my XBMC systems booting straight to the XBMC UI as well, it doesn't mean the system is locked down.
          How do you want to install/use custom software when it seems like you can't open a console and/or switch to TTY? When you can't escape Steam ("SteamOS looks and acts like Big Picture Mode, except it's the basis for the entire hardware system", "the only interactive layer is all Steam.") ?

Comment

How do you want to install/use custom software when it seems like you can't open a console and/or switch to TTY? When you can't escape Steam ("SteamOS looks and acts like Big Picture Mode, except it's the basis for the entire hardware system", "the only interactive layer is all Steam.") ?
            No mention if they even tried SSH, or plugged in an optical drive or usb and try to boot from it. Their "analyses" leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Maybe you should try Steam Greenlight for your favorite terminal emulator. If you consider that, I would love to get urxvt.
              Seriously, this is all at an early stage and of course the first thing they will do is getting their stuff together when it comes to the Steam environment and playing games. Extending the system with other software than from the Steam shop will likely be an afterthought.

Comment

Working...
              X