Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Holiday Shopping Guide For Linux PC Hardware

Phoronix: 2013 Holiday Shopping Guide For Linux PC Hardware

As last year's What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware article was quite popular, here's my thoughts on the latest PC components and recommendations for those that may be purchasing (or hoping to receive) new computer hardware this holiday season and intend to use it on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I found this article cluttered, unorganized and difficult to read. It's one of the rare Phoronix articles that might have actually been better if it had been broken into more pages (as opposed to having 13 pages with 2 graphs on them to encourage Premium subscriptions). The pictures didn't really help or add anything either. I won't comment on the excessive linking to previous articles since that's a beloved Phoronix tradition...

I really like how TR does system guides: http://techreport.com/review/25584/t...3-system-guide

EDIT: it's a bit odd to refer to Haswell as a "CPU upgrade" when it requires a new mobo (unless upgrading the mobo is considered standard for a CPU "upgrade", which it may very well be for modern Intel CPU's).
    Last edited by DanL; 27 November 2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

probably worth noting that all the unlocked haswell CPUs have many features disabled(e.g, VT-D, which is a fairly important feature for a lot of linux folk)

Comment

he's advocating SilverStone over Chieftec? Wtf is wrong with Michael...

Comment

Thanks for the nice article.

I could also recommend the Roccat mice and keyboards. Most of their products have work nicely on Linux and some of them even have GUIs which you can compile on LInux.

Comment

I have to agree with DanL; this article looks more like a mix of last week?s articles than a buying guide. In fact I just skimmed it since I?m used to text in phoronix articles not containing any useful and/or readable info.

Comment

So for all intensive purposes, the system is basically bricked.
              "intents and purposes"

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
                "intents and purposes"
                Dang, I was going to point that out but you beat me to it.

Comment

What about AMD APUs?

Like having the APU and a discrete card etc.? Those AXX look really interesting to me, but I didn't dare getting one yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X