Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benalib View Post
    I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority
    The last cycle the focused on phones, this cycle they will focus on tablets and next cycle they will focus on desktop.
    After that they hopefully can spread the work out on all three platforms.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Do you have a link for that "plant dock"? Google isn't helpfull.
    Mistype. I meant plank dock. https://launchpad.net/plank

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Mistype. I meant plank dock. https://launchpad.net/plank
    Thanks, looks really interesting but I can't try it cause of the lack of (functional) gentoo ebuilds. Tried from the angelos overlay, right now my blocker is x11-libs/bamf:
    Code:
    gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘--c-include=libbamf/libbamf.h’
    Maybe somebody here has some good ebuilds? I really don't want to mess with that stuff just for trying plank.
    Last edited by TAXI; 11-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Mir may very well be ready for 14.10. It will only be replacing X afterall, which is already a clusterf*ck..
    Hey... X has it's flaws, but whatever else can be said of it, it's been providing a working Linux desktop for decades. That's a hell of a high bar for anything to replace, which is why until recently, none of the attempts to replace it have come close to succeeding...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Hey... X has it's flaws, but whatever else can be said of it, it's been providing a working Linux desktop for decades. That's a hell of a high bar for anything to replace, which is why until recently, none of the attempts to replace it have come close to succeeding...
    X is simply the biggest design mistake in the history of *nixes. It is against KISS, violates UNIX-way (just like systemd does :P), creates a lot of stupid bugs (mostly security bugs - e. g. screensaver handling), is complicated and primitive at once and kills little kittens. Should be replaced by sth. Wayland/Mir-alike years ago.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siekacz View Post
    X is simply the biggest design mistake in the history of *nixes. It is against KISS, violates UNIX-way (just like systemd does :P), creates a lot of stupid bugs (mostly security bugs - e. g. screensaver handling), is complicated and primitive at once and kills little kittens. Should be replaced by sth. Wayland/Mir-alike years ago.
    Oh please, throwing UNIX-way argument against systemd is tiresome. systemd is made for Linux, not UNIX like.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finalzone View Post
    Oh please, throwing UNIX-way argument against systemd is tiresome. systemd is made for Linux, not UNIX like.
    Linux is a UNIX-like. In fact, both Torvalds and Stallmann have designed it to be UNIX-like.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    UNIX-way is our tradition. Why? Because it just works. Single responsibility principle is crucial in Linux world (that's why Linux took over servers and supercomputer - it is easy to maintain and you're not bouded to any set of softwar, you can change parts of your system at your will).

    And systemd is so violent to this Tradition as if pope supported gay marriage. I don't want to hear about both X is anti-Tradition too, and with Wayland and Mir we are hopefully going back to our roots - simple, easy to maintain programs, not bloated monolithic combines.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siekacz View Post
    UNIX-way is our tradition. Why? Because it just works. Single responsibility principle is crucial in Linux world (that's why Linux took over servers and supercomputer - it is easy to maintain and you're not bouded to any set of softwar, you can change parts of your system at your will).

    And systemd is so violent to this Tradition as if pope supported gay marriage. I don't want to hear about both X is anti-Tradition too, and with Wayland and Mir we are hopefully going back to our roots - simple, easy to maintain programs, not bloated monolithic combines.
    It would be nice to keep the current topic out of anything related to religion to avoid endless loop.
    Back to the the point, does UNIX-way mean blindly following the principle by copying the flaws in practice like sysv or being inspired by its principle? systemd is about the latter. You can built it without using all options.
    In fact the design of systemd as a suite of integrated tools that each have their individual purposes but when used together are more than just the sum of the parts, that's pretty much at the core of UNIX philosophy.
    About systemd being monolithic and bloated see:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •