Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

Phoronix: Mir 0.1.2 Pulls In 52 Changes, Surface Resize Support

With Canonical now focusing on making Mir ready for its desktop premiere in Ubuntu 14.10 but already shipping and supporting Mir for Ubuntu Touch, it's time for another Mir display server update. This week's Mir 0.1.2 update carries at least 52 changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since Mir is being worked on both desktops and phones, I'm hoping for the desktop version to get more love after 14.10, as I'm going to need libhybris on this Odroid I have.

Comment

I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
        Since Mir is being worked on both desktops and phones, I'm hoping for the desktop version to get more love after 14.10, as I'm going to need libhybris on this Odroid I have.
        You have an odroid? Which model?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          You have an odroid? Which model?
          Odroid-XU, the best one that I could get, it's pretty impressive. Once drivers appear, I'd like to try out some benchmarks on *some* games that are lightweight. It uses an SGX 544 GPU which is PowerVR. Drivers exist for Android but not Linux as it is. I miss Unity because I'm getting a bit sick of Xubuntu a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
            I have the impression that Mir is focusing on phones, it seems that the desktop is not a priority
            What I meant is after 14.10, by that time they'll be polishing the desktop. Hopefully it won't be too late, and I honestly really really want Canonical to succeed with their Touch OS.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
              Odroid-XU, the best one that I could get, it's pretty impressive. Once drivers appear, I'd like to try out some benchmarks on *some* games that are lightweight. It uses an SGX 544 GPU which is PowerVR. Drivers exist for Android but not Linux as it is. I miss Unity because I'm getting a bit sick of Xubuntu a bit.
              Cool, I was looking at that model too. I was thinking of using it as a minecraft server, even though it would waste the great gpu power that model has. I'm actually typing from an atom N270 netbook with Xubuntu, its not so bad (removing the xfce dock and replacing with plant dock makes its better), but I know that feel. Once you get used to Unity, the older interfaces just feel dated. I can't wait until my work laptop gets back from repairs so I can use Unity again.

Comment

i really doubt mir will be ready for users before 15.04 and ubuntu touch need a lot of work too.

my guess is that they expected lots of ppl contributing to Mir but since they got the finger those timelines are going to suffer a lot of delays

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  removing the xfce dock and replacing with plant dock makes its better
                  Do you have a link for that "plant dock"? Google isn't helpfull.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    i really doubt mir will be ready for users before 15.04 and ubuntu touch need a lot of work too.

my guess is that they expected lots of ppl contributing to Mir but since they got the finger those timelines are going to suffer a lot of delays
                    Mir may very well be ready for 14.10. It will only be replacing X afterall, which is already a clusterf*ck... The question is when will Unity 8 be ready for desktops. Since no work has yet been done on that front, and Unity 7 should be really stable by then, it will have to be in very good shape to replace Unity 7 without angering more users.

If possible, I would rather see canonical release mir+unity 8 as is as an optional login already for 14.10 and keep updating it rolling release style. This way, even though it is completely unusable right now, it would get more testing from the most adventurous users and slowly replace unity 7, while not being a complete break from one release to the other. Those who need stability simply stick to the old Xorg+Unity 7

Comment

Working...
                    X