Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical Commits To Mir For Ubuntu 14.10

Default Canonical Commits To Mir For Ubuntu 14.10

Phoronix: Canonical Commits To Mir For Ubuntu 14.10

Last week I shared that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS won't use the Mir display server by default but now we have more details on upcoming Mir Display Server plans for Ubuntu Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNTY

I have no idea how to follow mailing lists, but that's pretty cool to hear. Who would think that putting Mir in a LTS version would be good though is what I'd like to know.

and they remain turned on by their own display server to succeed the X.Org Server
    Can we please at least aim for a rudimentary level of politeness and professionalism rather than suggesting sexual undertones?

Quote Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
    Can we please at least aim for a rudimentary level of politeness and professionalism rather than suggesting sexual undertones?
    I guess Michael is just tired, he shouldn't write when he needs sleep. There are more weird things:
    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    they are using Ubuntu 7
    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    A Unity 8 preview session is a goal for Unity 8
    //EDIT: Or maybe to much german beer? xD
    Last edited by TAXI; 11-25-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
    I have no idea how to follow mailing lists, but that's pretty cool to hear. Who would think that putting Mir in a LTS version would be good though is what I'd like to know.
    Probably the same person who thought XMir was something you should use to run the whole desktop. Probably a salesman, someone from the marketing department, I doubt it was an engineer. Luckily, it seems it wasn't that person who had the last word here.

Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    I guess Michael is just tired, he shouldn't write when he needs sleep. There are more weird things:

//EDIT: Or maybe to much german beer? xD
    Fixed, thanks. Tired would be correct, not German beer. I rarely drink beer these days... maybe once or twice a month?

Nice to see you active in the comments!

On topic, I'm glad that they are going to commit to it all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Mir is here to stay!
    To be here to stay it has to arrive in the first place. Let us see when it will do that. This is just another Canonical announcement. Their track record isn't the best when it comes to announcements.

So Mir is delayed for one whole year. By the time it's out, every major distro will ship with a Wayland option.

Why didn't they go with Wayland again?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Why didn't they go with Wayland again?
    Cause... um... eh... *scratchesHead* ... you know... ehm... yea... wait, there the paper is: NIH and we meed a CLA to be able to make money.

Greetings,
    Canonical customer support

(if that's not clear enough: This post isn't really serious and I'm not working for Canonical)