No announcement yet.

Jolla's Smartphone Launches Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since Jolla is linux, it should be possible to run steam on it. Imagine a future version where we can hook up a vidock to it and use the moga game pad and run the steam app on it with a jolla desktop UI with maybe a bluetooth mouse.
    So your phone would replace a full desktop and maybe your laptop. You'd just be a little underpowered with the CPU for high end games but since you are hooking up to a vidock you are fine on graphics and can always upgrade it and you are running linux with a BT mouse.

Also it seems you need to install something called android compatibility on your jolla phone for certain android apps to work.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
      Since Jolla is linux, it should be possible to run steam on it.
      x86 code on ARM hardware? Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        That is one butt-ugly keyboard. Very poor layout.
        Ugly it might be, but that application is Fingerterm and keyboard is its own. And it's very functional for command line usage. I have it on my N9 and I prefer Fingerterm's keyboard anytime over native one that is used on N9's own terminal application. One have to use it to understand it's strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Yes:

The only problem with it, that it's old bash. The old one is maintained for the sake of those Mer vendors who are afraid of GPLv3 (all the anti TiVoisation business and etc.), but Jolla ins't afraid, so I have no clue why the old Bash is preinstalled.
          I wonder why those vendors don't just use Zsh instead, it has all the features (and more) of modern Bash and an MIT-like license.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            I wonder why those vendors don't just use Zsh instead, it has all the features (and more) of modern Bash and an MIT-like license.
            Write a terminal app and submit it to the store.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Write a terminal app and submit it to the store.
              Seriously, NO.
              It is just unbearable all those apps with the exact damn functionality. The only worse thing is wallpapers as a goddamn APP.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                Seriously, NO.
                It is just unbearable all those apps with the exact damn functionality. The only worse thing is wallpapers as a goddamn APP.
                Sailfish doesn't have many apps anyway (for now at least).

Comment

zsh is available too FYI.

Comment

Funny how the first phone from a tiny startup can look so much better than any Android phone ever made. The UI design, graphics, design of the case, it's all miles above any Android phone I've seen. And not to even mention iOS 7, what an eyesore that is...

Also, it runs Wayland! How cool is that?

Anywho, if I could justify spending 400? on a phone, I'd definitely get this one. I just don't use phones enough that I'd pay that much for one, but it definitely looks great, seems like Jolla can deliver what they promise.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      Funny how the first phone from a tiny startup can look so much better than any Android phone ever made. The UI design, graphics, design of the case, it's all miles above any Android phone I've seen. And not to even mention iOS 7, what an eyesore that is...
                      NO. Simply NO.

The icons are horrid. The design of the actual phone leaves a lot to be desired. Other than that i think its really good. And its as close to desktop linux as possible. I'm curious if it will be easy to run a full desktop on the phone.

Comment

Working...
                      X