Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Touch Has Many Plans For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Default Ubuntu Touch Has Many Plans For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch Has Many Plans For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Besides the other UDS sessions this week that were already covered on Phoronix, many discussions took place about plans to improve Ubuntu Touch during the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS cycle. Canonical developers feel very hopeful and ambitions for their phone/tablet plans in the next six months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNDM

So they've completely given up on the desktop?

Will there be any other companies out there coming along that are interested in making a Linux desktop? Or are we going to slip back into the Dark Ages?

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    So they've completely given up on the desktop?

Will there be any other companies out there coming along that are interested in making a Linux desktop? Or are we going to slip back into the Dark Ages?
    Wow, I don't think I've read a less dumber comment than that. Although most people here appear to be on an anti-Canonical/Ubuntu rampage.

Canonical is giving their "convergence" thing a go, if it succeeds then awesome, a fully functional Desktop/Mobile hybrid OS; If not then the Ubuntu Foundation will continue Ubuntu's legacy, without commercial support and might reduce itself to the likes of Linux Mint, "just another distro". Also, most of you guys seriously need to remember what Ubuntu's been doing for the desktop OS.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
    most of you guys seriously need to remember what Ubuntu's been doing for the desktop OS.
    Which is...?

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Which is...?
    Coming from Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake, Corel, and Debian, I can attest Ubuntu made huge strides by being the first simple and coherent distribution with a focus on "just working" for desktop users. They combined the following:
    • Making an installer that was simple and also worked as a live CD (inspired by Knoppix)
    • Reducing the number of installed applications to a small usable set instead of the kitchen sink
    • Making printers and sound just working
    • Making flash, java and codecs work out of the box
    • Making the proprietary drivers for your GPU card just work
    • Making Wifi and networking just work
    • Making the boot process fast and without cryptic messages
    • Making a window manager that actually tries to maximize the usable work area on small and wide screens
    • Based on a distro with a solid update system and huge package library (apt-get rocks!)
    • Having frequent and predictable updates with LTS releases mixed in

Well Ubuntu was not necessarily the first and only distro working on these things. But they managed to make the right combination at the right time and make Linux known for ordinary users. These days people seem to get a kick out of bashing Ubuntu for every small step or experiment they make - instead of just shutting up and exercising their right to choose differently.

Jees, young people ;-)

The desktop is Ubuntu's trump card. The core of their whole plan (convergence) depends absolutely on a usable desktop, so they absolutely need it. Ubuntu finally got a solid desktop with Unity 7 last revisions, so their focus turned to the parts which didn't exist yet. This only means the desktop will not have new features, but bug-fixing. That's what we were waiting for, Unity stabilizing and getting fixed.

And FFS, whether you like Ubuntu or not, how can someone deny their (past and current) importance for the desktop?

I'll never get what's wrong with some people around here. Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Veto View Post
    [*]Making the proprietary drivers for your GPU card just work
    I stopped reading at this point. I don't use Ubuntu anymore but as of 10.04 that 'just work' always lasted till the next kernel update. Downloading and installing drivers manually was actually easier and led to more predictable results.

/sigh
    The concentration of mindless pro-Canonical drivel ITT is so high it makes me sick. I thought moving from Ubuntuforums to Phoronix would at least let me get away from the most rabid of Ubuntu fanboys. Gosh, I was so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    /sigh
    The concentration of mindless pro-Canonical drivel ITT is so high it makes me sick. I thought moving from Ubuntuforums to Phoronix would at least let me get away from the most rabid of Ubuntu fanboys. Gosh, I was so wrong.
    Don't worry, stick around and you will feel right back at home with all the antiUbuntu trolling Phoronix is famous for.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    I stopped reading at this point. I don't use Ubuntu anymore but as of 10.04 that 'just work' always lasted till the next kernel update. Downloading and installing drivers manually was actually easier and led to more predictable results.
    So now we're basing our judgement on things which happened more than 3.5 years ago? Alright, in 2008 I had problems with Red Hat, in 2009 I had problems with Debian. So they suck, is that it?

I have used Intel, Nvidia and AMD GPUs and the only problems I had was with Nvidia's and AMD's open source drivers performance.