Smartphones in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartphones in Linux

Why is it so hard to use an Android device in Linux?

Half the time, it doesn't even read it properly.

Also, there's constant mtp error messages. This is in Kubuntu and I know, I should get away from a KDE-centric POS distro but still...

I tried a Debian flavour and with LXDE, but again, it didn't even detect the smartphone at all.

I hate to say it, but at least in Windows 7, I could get what I needed done.

Rant over. :-(

The standard mtpfs was a bit broken some time ago, but should be ok now on more recent distributions.

For kde there's kio-mtp in case you're not using it already: https://projects.kde.org/projects/pl...d/base/kio-mtp

if you can't update mtpfs, you can try one of the alternatives that have worked for some time like jmtpfs or go-mtpfs and mount it "manually" (just "jmtpfs /some/mountpoinit" and it will do the rest automatically). Yes, that's not quite as convenient, but should just work.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      The standard mtpfs was a bit broken some time ago, but should be ok now on more recent distributions.

For kde there's kio-mtp in case you're not using it already: https://projects.kde.org/projects/pl...d/base/kio-mtp

if you can't update mtpfs, you can try one of the alternatives that have worked for some time like jmtpfs or go-mtpfs and mount it "manually" (just "jmtpfs /some/mountpoinit" and it will do the rest automatically). Yes, that's not quite as convenient, but should just work.
      LOL! That page shows how pathetic KDE is. Nothing is there.

Anyway, thanks for the post but nothing is working. I re-checked everything (probably the 2nd or 3rd time now!) and it all looks up-to-date. All of those are installed. This is one of the error messages that keeps happening:

Error ? KIOExec
      The process for the mtp protocol died unexpectedly - OK

I cannot view any of my pictures. Gwenview just loads forever and eventually I'll get error messages and the device (i.e. phone) will unmount. KDE is useless as far as I am concerned.

Comment

The problem seems to effect tons of people and especially KDE users. Even though many people have and use smartphones, KDE would rather 'update' their plasma crap or waste time on other cosmetics than have things work. Take a look:

Arch Linux:

Fedora (w/ KDE):

Kubuntu (looks like?):
        kio-mtp is meant to support KDE to copy to and from MTP devices. After installing kio-mtp my smartphones files appear in Dolphin, yet the integration behaves eratically: * Opening files e.g. pictures in Gwenview will have progress bar spinning for a while doing nothing. If I try to copy a file manually afterwards using Dolphin a pop-up box appears saying "The process for the mtp protocol died unexpectedly" * Trying to copy single files or a collection of files to or from the device works I...

Mageia (w/ KDE):

Kubuntu (again?):

Comment

Why use MTP at all? Many versions of Android support the "usb storage" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Why use MTP at all? Many versions of Android support the "usb storage" mode.
            No, they don't. Android 4.x only uses MTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Why is it so hard to use an Android device in Linux?
              No problems here. I just plug-in my phone or tablet and it just works.

Half the time, it doesn't even read it properly.

Also, there's constant mtp error messages. This is in Kubuntu and I know, I should get away from a KDE-centric POS distro but still...

I tried a Debian flavour and with LXDE, but again, it didn't even detect the smartphone at all.

I hate to say it, but at least in Windows 7, I could get what I needed done.

Rant over. :-(
              Did you try Gnome on Ubuntu 13.10? It works out of the box here with gnome-shell and Files (FKA Nautilus).

Comment

Thanks Anon. It worked but I had to change a setting in my phone.

Unable to access 'Android Phone'
                Unable to open MTP device [usb: 001, 002]
                [OK]

In my smartphone settings, I had to change USB settings to 'USB tethering' – it must change something? Anyway, It allowed the device to be opened more like a storage device? I could open my image (.jpg) and finally see it! Wow, hooray.

I have tried the same thing in KDE (Kubuntu) with no success. The files I can see/access but I cannot open any of the files – as I explained what happens when it tries to use Gwenview as the image application.

However, I was reading Ubuntu steps for installing Skype (I know, it sucks) and there's 100 'how-tos' and some of the steps are different. Some are outdated. Time to bang the head again. So, if I try Ubuntu 13.10 Gnome, I have new problems especially when I am not familiar with Gnome 3. :-{

At least messing around with the smartphone in Ubuntu w/ Gnome is not as hair-pulling as using KDE with it.

Now, I'll try MATE with Mint and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  No, they don't. Android 4.x only uses MTP.
                  "Many versions" = "3.x and previous" then. Sir, you lack reading comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    "Many versions" = "3.x and previous" then. Sir, you lack reading comprehension.
                    What do I care about PREVIOUS versions?!? It's 2013 and Android is AT 4.x! My reading comprehension is bad because you used a non-specific, generic 'previous versions' to describe it?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X